Lifting 2015 Yamaha F150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting 2015 Yamaha F150

Need to move my Yamaha F150 up 2 holes on the mounting bracket. What is the best method of lifting the motor so I can reposition it on the bracket? Are there any factory recommended tools, etc that I should use?

Thanks

An over head hoist, suitably rated for the job, works best using the lifting rings provided on the motor. Nylon rope properly tied will work but a lifting harness (chains or wire rope) would be better. Completely remove the motor, clean the holes, apply new sealant and reinstall the motor.

Some will say to simply support the lower unit on a floor jack. Then remove the two upper bolts and slightly loosen the two lower bolts. Jack the motor up as needed. I am not in favor of that technique given that the lower gear case was never designed to support the weight of the motor. More difficult to get new sealing applied properly also.

Now if you are going to do this anyway then I would remove the lower unit and then lift the motor from below by applying a lifting load to the bottom of the upper casing. Place a wide board between the bottom of the upper casing and the floor jack to prevent damage to the casing.

No special tools needed. The nuts simply unscrew from the attach bolts. And it goes without saying to properly seal the bolts upon their reinstallation.

Comment

Thank you for the info. I am not sure where the lift rings are located on the motor. Removed the cover and found a steel tab with a hole in it that could be a lift ring. This tab was on the front of the motor near the flywheel. Is there a second tab or ring that I should be looking for?

Or, am I off base with what I am looking for?

Thanks

Lyle

Comment

If the boat is on a trailer, this method works best for me. Lower the front of the trailer, then lower the motor all the way down, put a block of wood under the skeg then raise the front of the trailer until the motor is resting on the block of wood. Remove the upper bolts then loosen the lower slider bolts. raise the trailer a bit at a time until the holes you want line up. You may have to jiggle the boat a bit occasionally to make sure that the motor is not binding. You may also want to put sealant in the bolt holes.

Comment

Originally posted by KayKatz... View Post
          If the boat is on a trailer, this method works best for me. Lower the front of the trailer, then lower the motor all the way down, put a block of wood under the skeg then raise the front of the trailer until the motor is resting on the block of wood. Remove the upper bolts then loosen the lower slider bolts. raise the trailer a bit at a time until the holes you want line up. You may have to jiggle the boat a bit occasionally to make sure that the motor is not binding. You may also want to put sealant in the bolt holes.
          This is exactly what I am talking about NOT doing. The gear case was never designed or intended to be used to lift and support the weight of the motor. This is the epitome of backyardaganism.

Take an empty soda can and lay it on its side. Put a small amount of weight on the side of the can. What happens to the can? It flexes and bends. Same thing will happen when several hundred pounds of weight gets applied to the gear case. What is happening inside to the bearings and stuff. Stupid, just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by LyleKvarnlov View Post
            Thank you for the info. I am not sure where the lift rings are located on the motor. Removed the cover and found a steel tab with a hole in it that could be a lift ring. This tab was on the front of the motor near the flywheel. Is there a second tab or ring that I should be looking for?

Or, am I off base with what I am looking for?

Thanks

Lyle

Comment

You guys rock !!!! Thanks so very much for the information. I have an overhead hoist that I can use. Now just need to find the courage to loosen the bolts !!

thanks for all the insight and help.

Lyle

Comment

A come-along has plenty of power to crank up and lift the engine as well as lower it.

That's if your working off your garage rafters(re-inforced). I've pulled small block chevy V8's with the trans this way, piece of cake..
                Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X