Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket trim sensor?

Hi All,

I have recently purchased a new boat, with a 2002 Yamaha 40hp 2 stroke outboard, model 40XWT.

I'm currently in the process of making a few little modifications, you know, to make it "my" boat

There are no gauges on the boat (im pretty sure it was a budget tub+outboard deal) and so at the very least i want to put a tacho on.

I ordered a multifunction yamaha tacho off ebay, 6Y5-2818R-32. I have a 703 remote and so from what i have read the tacho side of things should be fine.

What i have noticed since though is I dont think I have a trim position sensor on my outboard. I had (wrongly) assumed they all came with the capability, as I haven't really seen anything that says some do and some dont...

Anyhoo, long story short, am i able to retrofit a trim sensor from another yamaha model onto mine, or are there even aftermarket sensors available that will work with the yamaha multifunction gauge?

Thanks!

Have you looked at the parts book for your specific model?

We don't have that specific model here in the US. But, all 40 HP USA models offered in 2002 have a trim sender installed. I am surprised that your motor apparently does not have one.

You say that you don't "think" that it has one. Why not inspect the motor and know for sure. If there is no sender installed maybe someone removed it. In which case it would be a simple matter of buying and installing a Yamaha sender.

Comment

Thanks for the reply boscoe99, greetings from Australia!

There are only two wires inside the sheath that come out from the powerhead tray down to the lifting mechanism, otherwise its pretty barren around that area. Nothing like what I've seen from a couple of youtube videos. There doesn't even appear to be any empty plugs for the gauge's harness to connect to. When its light out ill post a couple of pictures, maybe there is a US delivered equivalent or similar that I could order the parts from. That would explain why I've had such a hard time finding info out about this model.

But ill be sure to try and track down a parts manual and see what that says for sure.

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Have you looked at the parts book for your specific model?

We don't have that specific model here in the US. But, all 40 HP USA models offered in 2002 have a trim sender installed. I am surprised that your motor apparently does not have one.

You say that you don't "think" that it has one. Why not inspect the motor and know for sure. If there is no sender installed maybe someone removed it. In which case it would be a simple matter of buying and installing a Yamaha sender.

Comment

The complete engine ID for you motor would be helpful.

Generally there are two sheathed wire harnesses. One for the trim and tilt motor and one for the trim sender.

Here is what our parts catalog depicts for a 2002 40TLR.

Comment

that i can do, already snapped that:

I found a parts manual, and a similar area to what you have highlighted, but no trim sensor there either, or anywhere else i could see

EDIT: the Bracket clamp on mine is Part# 65W-43111-10-4D which looks like it suits quite a lot of models from a range of years.... i might be able to get the sensor from one of those...

Double Edit: it looks like the bracket clamps are the same as your F25 outboards across multiple years... although i cant find any trim senders on those... not looking good!
          Last edited by NeilPClark; 06-05-2015, 12:10 PM.

Comment

From all that I can see it does not look good either. Sorry.

Comment

no worries, just the tacho will have to suffice for now, and ill just be forced to replace the outboard later on

Thanks anyway!

Comment

sounds like a good excuse to tell the wife why you need a new motor .

Comment

I like the way you think!

Comment

Do you have kids? Boating is so much safer with a motor that has a trim sender installed. The bigger the boat the safer that it is by the way. Two or more motors add to that safety.

Comment

Yeh I do have 2 little ones, but I only take them out in the Swan river (that's the river Perth, Western Australia is settled around) not in the ocean yet. It's only a 4.5 metre quintrex and it is fairly easy to visually see what position the motor is in, I figured it would be handy to have a gauge so once I work out the sweet spot for different conditions I can 'lock it in' without guessing

Full trim down it handles ok and doesn't really have an impact on maneuverability or behave unexpectedly. I think the 40hp doesn't quite have enough oomph to force the bow to cut in too deep anyway. There is an obvious extra load on the outboard that is quite audible though so that does act as a good indicator to trim it back up a bit.

An upgrade to a bigger, 4 stroke motor is on the cards, but not until I get proper tired of this one. A new outboard will be more than the entire boat cost me!

Comment

Working...
                      X