Yamaha 4hp Lower unit hole explanation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 4hp Lower unit hole explanation

Hi guys,first of all i want to introduce myself..im marcus and im a dedicated boatie since a year. I got 2 engines on my boat(main engine 40hp-1986, and a backup engine-4hp(1984)-i know these are old ladies but very reliable;-)..now my issue i have is this: i did my regular maintenance check on both engines and the little one was leaking oil out of the gearbox(where the propeller is attached).i replaced ALL neccessary seals from yamaha, put everything together and now oil is coming out of a little hole next to the intake where you put the muffs on,when you flush the engine. I remember when i cleaned the whole lower unit etc this particular hole was clogged up with salt debris and i opened it up again(used a little drill bit)..was that wrong? So it looks to me that water could go in gearbox and all my job would be for nothing...any suggestions OR explenation for what that hole is for?thank you very much in advance. Cant stop reading all the threads here...*** so interesting.
    Last edited by Doczepi1; 05-25-2015, 10:25 AM.

Hey sea stars,thanks for your reply...first of all it is an excisting whole.i did not drill a new whole in the engine.i used a needle firstand there was salt coming out.with a tiny drill bit i drilled slowly through and only salt residues came out. So i thought because of the age of the engine and the lack of maintenance from the previous owner i thought there is definatelybuild up salt everywhere..and it was from other areas. I tried to upload a picture but i cant see it in my threat.

Comment

With your other questions you have asked, oil was milky before i did all the replacements of the seals. I havent used the engine since i changed everything 1 day ago.

Comment

Also when i filled up gearbox oil i opened top screw,squirted oil in from the bottom until it came out on top and tightend up both bolts.but as you said it might be a little to full and the leftover oil will be flushed out. My concern is that still water goes from this hole into the gearbox:-(...thats why i want to know what that little hole is for.

Comment

oil out of "hole"

LOL, just got the day off and had to ck this place out for giggles !! you did no damage by cleaning that "weep hole" didn't look it up but I've seen a million..if its leaking oil,, you need to remove the lwr gear case and replace the seals under water pump and/or shift shaft if it has shifting........PS.. (edit) that hole is to drain the water in the "pocket" so if it freeze's it don't crack the case
          Last edited by bajakeith; 05-25-2015, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X