1990 6 hp 2 stroke leaking from top of mid section

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 6 hp 2 stroke leaking from top of mid section

so i purchased a 1990ish 2 stroke yamaha 6 hp outboard. What are the two "vent" holes that are next to the water discharge hole? i will sometimes get a milky oil/fuel out of it when its laying down in my garage. not a lot and not all the time. Is it a exhaust vent so the motor doesn't have to push all the water out of the prop on start up? my motor exhuauts through the prop. do i need to be worried or is it just some water and un burt fuel/oil?

yep idle exhaust reliefs

Comment

You said milky oil/fuel! Just be aware how the motor is stored (position). You can get water flowing back up into the exhaust ports, thus into engine internals. No good.
      Maybe nothing, just when I read "milky", this usually means water has been thoroughly mixed with oil, from 2 stroke oil mixing with water inside engine. Or typically in gear box when seals fail.
      Casual water and fuel getting together does not make "milky". Check this out

Comment

Meant to add, when you see this, unscrew and inspect the spark plug for water droplets/ or milky mixture on plug or thread in the head.
        If this discharge might be coming from further down, won't hurt to check the gear box oil (because exhaust out thru prop around gearbox)

Comment

Working...
        X