No announcement yet.

filled up with diesel by mistake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is always good to discuss fuels and combustion because engines are changing to meet reduced emission standards and fuel economy, and fuel suppliers are forever altering the mix of substances to also meet these targets but also to meet their profit margins (I suspect to the point of adding stuff they cannot dispose of or use elsewhere, I'll mention more of this point below).
    I have a few points to make:
    Diesel when mixed with oxygen and is compressed to a certain point will detonate itself (cetane rating) - this principal was how the first engines simply worked.
    Two, the term detonation in petrol engines referred to too quick a burn of the mixture creating too quick a rise in pressure hitting the piston before it had sufficient leverage with the conrod on the crankshaft. It can occur after TDC! So the argument about what happens at combustion can be very complex indeed. Lots of things happen.
    Thirdly and incidently without having Googled it yet, my understanding about the mandating of smaller fuel nozzles and fuel tank opening was to stop people using any other fuel other than unleaded fuel. This had two reasons so that emission standards are maintained, and that catalytic convertors weren't damaged.
    Fourthly, the OP had a problem with "contaminated" fuel. (it was that diesel contaminated the petrol). He was advised that he had to remove the contents of his tank. This raises a few issues. Where does he put this, and is that container readily portable? (presumably 130l equals over 100 Kg). And then what does he do with this fuel (it is OK but a mix of 2 OK fuels)?.
    If he returned it to a fuel company in all likelihood it will be returned to some tank diluting it further(the contamination is just fuel isn't it) and then reused as fuel. Environmentally he can't dump it, or it may cost him substantially to legally dispose of it. It would already have caused him some pain because the fuel already was costly. So the most acceptable thing from a cost and environmental point of view is for him to somehow use it as a fuel, but how does he do this? A good point for discussion.

Comment

Old bad fuel can always used to start brush fires on the farm.
      I had trees and old fences bulldozed into 4 very big piles that will need to be burned after drying out some.
      Of course not all people have this need so there are companies out there that do this for a living that you have to pay to get rid of it properly.
      they deal with the red tape and make it disappear legally so you do not get into trouble.

I would think some of those large ocean going ships that burn fuel oil may ebd up with stuff like this mixed in with there thousands of gallons of fuel, but who knows for sure how the dispose of it.

Heck putting it into some crude oil that was to be refined into gas and other fuels would be the best place

Comment

99yam40 I was still suggesting that the OP fuel could still be used because it really is not "bad" fuel, and that the OP knows exactly what he has got.
        It would be nice to know mixing ratios of Octane (RON numbers) to get back to his engine RON requirement.
        As Bosco99 suggests that this RON will now be low, and only a problem occurs because of this fact. Simply mathematically we can add higher RON, but how much and what?.
        This would apply to all engines if the bulk fuel available is lower RON then we add an additive. Wikipedia spells out this when Google Octane.
        Also Bosco99 referred to people dying when Aviation turbine fuel is mixed with Avgas, and I suspect this could simply occur if engine just stops, not a good thing when flying but hardly as serious a problem on land or sea (engine would stall a short time after fuelling and in the case of a boat this would be not far from port).
        We would all benefit if we had such information. E.g. a car requires 87 Octane but only 82 Octane and 92 Octane available, what do you mix?

Comment

a motor seezing/locking up/dying in the air or water or even on land at the wrong time can cost lives.
          Unless you have a motor you do not care if it fails like your lawn mower then I would not run bad/mixed fuel in it.
          even mowers are expensive now a days depending on how large they are.

Comment

Diesel

This getting Waayyy past TOO long !! drain the tank<<purge the fuel line and move on................................................ ................................................

Comment

There are companies that offer "fuel polishing services", where they pull the fuel out and run it through centrifuges and various levels of filtration and return the fuel to 'fresh'. But, as far as I know, that's only available for diesel fuel so this would only work for the diesel portion of the fuel. Have a diesel truck or car? Maybe the fuel polishing company could use it.

HOWEVER, what I'm not sure of is if they can actually due this since there is gasoline in it, given the combustible nature of gasoline. A little googling or calling a company should answer that, though - if no one else here happens to know, that is.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

i went to my local garage and borrowed a electric transfer pump, filled four 25 ltr jerry cans of contaminated fuel. 78 ltrs gas 22 ltr deisel. The garage owner told me he would dispose of it free of charge. I dont know if he had a use for it or not.

Comment

waste and job creation

so you advocate waste and unnecessary job creation adding to the poor perception of some mechanics.
                  The pipes, filters etc don't need replacing purging etc.; the contaminated fuel is not in the system!!!!

Comment

Sorry my previous remark referred to Bajakeith's sentiment.

Comment

Years ago, while taking a Police advanced motorcycle training class, one of the participants topped off his Harley with diesel fuel accidentally.

I don't know how much he put in it (carbed engine, maybe 1-2 gallons out of 5 total). He was able to run the bike for the day but it ran like crap, but did run. Smoked, knocked, didn't want to idle, etc.

With all the sensors etc, now a days, especially on the outboards (vs a much older air cooled, no sensor V twin), I would definitly drain as much as possible.

Damaging an engine internally is WAY MORE EXPENSIVE to fix than to dump "X" gallons of questionable fuel.

As noted above, if its that's diluted, pull it out and burn it up in your mower, snow blower, generator, etc. Those engines are not NEARLY as tempermental as a FI'ed OB, engine.
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Cobb3333 brilliant, you found what worked, now just return the 3 jerry cans with gas in them into your boat, and the fourth jerry can into your diesel truck!(joke)
                        Without placing any aspersions against your service station it would be tempting to tip it into his 50,000 gallon tank and serve it up again. I don't know what the guidelines would be.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
                          Cobb3333 brilliant, you found what worked, now just return the 3 jerry cans with gas in them into your boat, and the fourth jerry can into your diesel truck!(joke)
                          Without placing any aspersions against your service station it would be tempting to tip it into his 50,000 gallon tank and serve it up again. I don't know what the guidelines would be.
                          Knowing the garage owner personally ,I wouldn't be surprised if I pay for the use of same fuel again next time I top up,lol.
                          Im back on the water again with a clean tank , so im happy.And more wise.

Comment

Glad to hear you are up and running.

We learn from our mistakes. Best we can hope for is to learn without anyone getting hurt from those mistakes. Yes, it costs us some money from time to time but having to pay that money reinforces the learning process.

I try to never make the same mistake more than three times.

Comment

Zeno

You,Sir are a fool and have no clue who,what I am !!! and to suggest in any way or form about about engines in a stupid debate with me shows your lack of understanding....PLEASE don't reply with your childish nonsense.....I'm busy repairing boats 8 days a week....planes,,cars..rv's are simple..attempting to let a fool understand simple logic is like trying to breath under water !!

Comment

Just &quot;brainstorming&quot;

Originally posted by bajakeith View Post
                                You,Sir are a fool and have no clue who,what I am !!! and to suggest in any way or form about about engines in a stupid debate with me shows your lack of understanding....PLEASE don't reply with your childish nonsense.....I'm busy repairing boats 8 days a week....planes,,cars..rv's are simple..attempting to let a fool understand simple logic is like trying to breath under water !!
                                Just trying to "brainstorm" a common occurrence (mixing of fuels), I hate waste and pollution and hate seeing people ripped off by some professionals, and I wasn't referring to you (Yes I don't know who you are). Maybe I was extending the idea to far, and expected too much from this forum (too technical).
                                I didn't think the OP as a fool, as if he just needed to know that he could empty his tank. I also think that he agreed with the possibility of what will become of his fuel.
                                How do you logically get 8 days a week?

Comment

Working...
                                X