Tach and wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tach and wiring

Hi, new member here. I have a 2018 F40 tiller motor and have bought a boat that uses a steering wheel and remote control. A friend of mine gave me a 703 remote and a tach they got at a garage sale. The remote connects and turns the engine over so that's great. As far as the Tach goes I am not sure how to make this work. I can't find anything on the Tach to identify the model number to find out how it wires up and if its compatible with my engine. I would appreciate any help. Here is a picture of the tach and wiring

Attached Files

This schematic should get you started....

Tach Wire Schematic.jpg

Attached Files
    Jason
    1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
      This schematic should get you started....

Tach Wire Schematic.jpg

Thank you for the diagram this is helping I now understand how to connect the tach.

Other questions now, the tach has a single pigtail and connector coming out of it seperate from the wires that go to the 703.

They are Pink, green with a red stripe green with a white stripe and a gray stripe. it goes into a connector and comes out the other side pink, gray, green with a red stripe and green. It was cut off just after that (see picture). I have the cable and can splice it back on no problem but what does this connect to on the motor? What's it for? How do I know if it will connect to my engine?
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by kevinmcghee View Post
        Other questions now, the tach has a single pigtail and connector coming out of it separate from the wires that go to the 703.
        Yes, the diagram posted above is not quite appropriate for your engine.

In the front of the engine pan, coming out of the main wire harness,
        is a single white-ish connector with 4 pink-ish wires -
        that is for the tach.

Since the tach also has a single 4-wire plug,
        you'll need one of these - a "Trim Oil Harness"
        to go between the engine and the tach:

Comment

The diagram is showing a tachometer and motor connection for 2004 and earlier model motors and tachometer.

For 2005 and later it looks like the following:

Comment

Working...
          X