Starter relay on F70

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starter relay on F70

Motor is a 2017 F70 model. The last few starts I hear the starter relay click but the starter motor does not turn. Hard to to repeat the problem, it seems to do it on the first start then OK until next day or so.
    The battery volts do not drop like when the motor starts. A couple of clicks of the relay then away it goes.
    The connections are clean and all leads are like new. Is there a known problem with these relays? I have twin motors so I can always swap relays over.

Relays do wear out and it is normal. (My F150 did the same thing with less than 200 hours on it).

I cut mine apart (after replacement) and the contacts were burned up confirming the bad relay.

You can check voltage coming out/going to the starter which will drop when you only get a clicking.
    OR use a jumper at the relay, between the battery and starter (by-passing the replay) and cranking the engine.

As you have another relay readily available, swap em out and the issue should follow the suspected relay..

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by RoosterTail View Post
      Is there a known problem with these relays?
      Well, the need to replace it is common enough
      that if you Google,
      you will find "aftermarket" parts (visually identical to OEM)
      for as little as < $10

Comment

Thanks for the replies.
        I checked the resistance across the output terminals, wires removed, first up before any start attempts. The first time the relay was energized the circuit was still open.
        After a couple of attempts, I got a reading, this reading is not like a complete short. The resistance was anything from 100 to 30 ohms. Subsequent attempts in succession brings the resistance right down.
        I will replace this relay, and will cut the other one open to see for myself.
        Funny thing, the other motor's starting relay does not show a complete closed circuit either, but the engine starts.
        I wonder how long before that one fails.
        When you think about it, I should look for a much more robust sealed relay and work out a place to mount it.

Comment

even the start solenoids on automobiles have had these type of troubles( burning contact surfaces)

Comment

Just ordered a new one. OEM. About $140 AU. I carry jumper wires, so I can get it started anyhow.
            I wonder what's next, the PTT relay.!

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              even the start solenoids on automobiles have had these type of troubles( burning contact surfaces)
              But surprisingly there are far more starter motor issues relating to worn out brushes and commutators than relay failures generally.

Comment

Just ordered a new one. OEM. About $140 AU. I carry jumper wires, so I can get it started anyhow.
                I wonder what's next, the PTT relay.!
                Forgot I had this on "Post image" but this is my starter relay (cut up):

Yepper, did my PTT relay ALSO!

Scott

Comment

How many hours on the motors before these relays were changed.?

Comment

How many hours on the motors before these relays were changed.?
                    Less than 200..
                    Scott

Comment

Would be interesting to find out what is causing this. The starter relay is powering a solenoid, while the PTT relays are driving a forward/reversing motor directly. Is it the initial in rush current cauing this burning or are these contacts actually bouncing. Maybe Yamaha need to source a more robust relay. would hate to see these contacts fuse together!
                      My old ute is almost 30 years old with 600000 km. How many timeshas that starter relay been energised?

Comment

most arcing happens when the contacts open originally.
                        acts like a welding machine until the gap gets large enough to stop it.

once a not good contact due to burnt contacts happen,
                        then more arcing happens to make a connection good enough to carry the current.

maybe just bumping the starter , and opening the contacts while inrush is happening is a bad idea

Comment

Working...
                        X