'03 60 4-stroke Water in lower unit.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '03 60 4-stroke Water in lower unit.

I was getting water in my lower unit so I took it into the shop. They changed the seals on the prop shaft. I ran it a few times and checked, I'm still getting water in the lower unit, but I also noticed that my prop continues to turn slowly when I'm in neutral. I'm sure this wasn't happening before, I would have noticed. What do I do next?

It's normal for the prop to turn slowly in neutral due to the oil movement there. There are 4 other seals that may leak besides the prop shaft: the washers on the fill/vent plugs, the shifter shaft seal and the drive shaft seal...check/replace those. A lower unit pressure test may help detect which seal is bad....

Comment

there is also the o rings on the carrier and shift shaft housing that could leak

Comment

Thanks for the info. Not something that I want to try myself, so I guess another appointment to get it in the shop is in order. re. the turning prop--It turns about 15 to 20 rpm and will move my 17ft lund slowly if it's calm. That seems like a lot of torque for something that's in neutral.

Comment

20RPM's = approx 1 rev every 3 seconds. Does that sound like what you're seeing? For reference, my prop spins quite fast out of the water in neutral, but it slows down considerably in the water - probably 20-40RPM's.

IF you're comfortable with it, try this - and note that this comes with a precautionary statement of "if you die, it's your fault - not mine" Take note of the direction that the prop is spinning and use a piece of wood to slowly stop the prop as it comes around on the downward stroke. Hold the flat of the wood at a shallow angle to the prop so the worst thing that really should happen is the prop blade slaps against the wood and if it knocked it out of your hand, the wood would simply drop to the ground - as opposed to jamming the wood in there and causing damage or shooting the wood back out. It should be pretty easy to stop it and once it's stopped it shouldn't take much effort to keep it stopped.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

20RPM's sounds about right. I just can't believe I hadn't noticed it turning before this. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
            X