No announcement yet.

Do you only use Yamalube on your motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you only use Yamalube on your motor?

Just bought a new to me parker with an 05 f200 and 290 hours on it.

As soon as the boat gets delivered, I'll be doing an all fluid change. I know it's best practice to use what Yamaha recommend. But I'm also reading people use other equivalent oil with no issues. Money aside, being able to get it locally when Yamalube isn't available is convenient.

Any thoughts? Which other motor and gear oil can I safely use?

Yamalube is generally a quality product, Just not always easy on the wallet. I run/maintain several motors for my work. I have used Yamalube 4M in all of them (both blue and gold full syn bottles) I have also used other brands "marine grade oil" Have even used Yamalube in one of those lesser quality black colored outboards. Overall I have never had a problem with any of the oils. Change them an about a 100hr frequency. If you go with another brand just make sure it is of the proper grade and FC-W certified for marine engines. That certification requires a lot more anti-corrosion inhibitors in it. as well as other things.
    Lately, I have been sticking with the Yamalube in the blue containers simply due to the convenience of being able to go into the dealer and buy the entire oil change kit with filter and new drain ring included in one convenient box.

As for the Lower unit lube, read up on what your motor requires. I know my 300's require a different HD gear lube than my 90's and 115's. not sure what the 200's take.. I have used the amsoil marine gear lube as well as Yamalube with no difference...

As long as you buy a quality oil that is properly rated for the application, and follow a maintenance schedule, you should be fine. The rest is just up to personal preference at that point.

Comment

It's only "best practice" because Yamaha recommends Yamaha oil... just like Mercury recommends Mercury... the same for Suzuki, Ford, Honda, Toyota, etc, etc, etc.

Also, since this really isn't something that you do "last minute" and would have plenty of time to prepare, you should have no problem getting what you want.

Truth is, asking this question will return many answers, all of which are really just an opinion. As long as you use a name brand FCW oil, you'll be absolutely fine. Check your manual - there will be information in there about it (download it if need be). But whether you use a 10W-30, 10W-40, 15W-40 will all depend on the temps that you boat in. This is all in the manual, too.

Same goes for the lower unit. As long as it's a hypoid GL4 gear oil, you're good. Personally, I use the Mercruiser Hi-Performance stuff since it's a full synthetic and can deal with some water penetration, whereas regular "dino" oil cannot. But see what I did there? An opinion!

And the last little tidbit of advice... use what you want, not what anyone else wants and don't worry about the cost. The difference is only going to be a couple dollars each season.
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by Cheapie408 View Post
        Just bought a new to me parker with an 05 f200 and 290 hours on it...

I know it's best practice to use what Yamaha recommends.
        Yamaha provided an Owners Manual with the engine,
        LIT-18626-06-07
        and in it,
        this is what they recommended:

("FC-W certification" and "Yamalube" weren't invented yet)

Comment

FC-W was initiated in 2004, but it's possible the recommendation wasn't used by manufacturer's right away. Or... that Yamaha manual could be mistaken... I mean, Yamaha literature is always SO clear, right?

Comment

If I'm reading that chart correctly, I'm in northern california, we never hit below 30's and will rarely go above 105 but it does get to 100 degee's occassionally. . 10w40 would be a good choice?

Based on that chart the Mobil 1 10w40 below meets or exceed those API rating.

$15 bucks for a 5 quart vs $50. I know that saying, don't go cheap on the motor but also don't want to pay for marketing gimmick. My car dealer blamed my alignment on non factory installed rims and tires, turns out their machine was the issue, brought it to a 3rd party and they fixed the alignment.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mobil-Sup...saAp-YEALw_wcB

Comment

Re-read the comments about FCW. Things change things improve... while the original, non-FCW isn't "bad", in a moist environment FCW is better.

Comment

Working...
              X