Deep Cycle Battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deep Cycle Battery

I bought two group 29 DC but then afterwards was told that deep cycle batteries aren't recommended for use as a starting battery. So do I have to change from the DC to a regular marine battery for my F115?

No - You can use a deep cycle if it meets the CCA requirements.
    But there IS a reason to use large group, deep cycle batteries for everything......reserve (i.e Bilge) . We could face a situation when the only thing keeping the boat floating is its ability to pump out water. Dead battery = very bad. Boats sink right in the slip for this very reason every day.

Comment

The Yamaha specifications for your F115 are as follows:

380 CCA or 502 MCA
      RC 124 minutes

If your deep cycle battery meets these requirements you are good to go. And I would guess that a group 29 battery would.

Comment

Agree with 'all of the above'. The specs that Boscoe listed for your engine are easily attained by even cheapie, small batteries. Meaning, your engine's specs are easily satisfied and that you probably would have had to have bought some 3rd world, second-hand, rejects to NOT meet those specs...

Specs are listed right on top of the batteries - on the label.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

MCA is 845. So I'm good then.

I also ordered and will install a Blue Sea ACR.

Thanks for the replies.

Comment

Working...
          X