90 TLRC Cowling Latch Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 TLRC Cowling Latch Repair

I have a 2003 90 HP TLRC that the rear cowling latch broke. Actually its the cast aluminum piece that mounts to the cowling.

I have bought all of the parts to repair it.

My question is, what do you use to remove the rivets and then get them re-installed?

Thanks in advance

Rivets are usually drilled and pressed out. Drill the manufactured head until it pops off. Then push the rivet out.

Rivets are usually set with a rivet gun and bucking bar or a squeeze type rivet press. Or, any other means that can be used to set the rivet.

Comment

Maybe once you get the old rivets drilled out then replace them with some nice round head/slot head stainless screws and lock nuts on the inside?....might be easier than trying to duplicate/replace those big factory Yamaha rivets....

Comment

Yamaha rivets are priced by the same person that prices cotter pins.

2003 90TLRB Yamaha Outboard TOP COWLING Diagram and Parts

Comment

I typically use a small grinder and grind off the rivet from the inside,occasionally you will have to drill it from the inside as its sweeled.

on reinstall I use flat head screws,a small thin nut, red locktite and using a second nut twist it off flush.

if you pull the second nut up against the first, then hold the first solid and continue turning the second it snaps the screw off flush with the first nut.

gives a nice clean install with no special tooling and nothing to hang on wires inside.

Comment

Thanks to all. I bought the "expensive" Yamaha rivets, but to use them I'd have to find a rivet gun with the bucking bar.

Gonna try the two nut process

Comment

yes I have bucked rivets in both steel and AL hulls over the years.
              none in about 30.
              my dad called me lightning.
              I asked if its cause I was fast.
              he said I never hit twice in the same spot.

no way would I take a swing with a bucking hammer on a fiberglass part.

Comment

Working...
              X