Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SX225TXRY lower unit bearing carrier removal

Gents,
    I have been trying to get this bearing carrier out on my Yamaha for two days now. Shift rod is out, lower unit end cap is out, the two retaining bolts for the carrier are out. I started out with a flywheel puller against the shaft with eye bolts and chain around the carrier and heating the case with oxy - acetylene with no luck. After reading posts here, I am now pulling on the carrier while restraining the gearcase in concert with heat and a slide hammer in order to attempt to pull out the carrier and prop shaft as one. Still no luck. I am using enough pressure to start to straighten 1/2" eye bolts. My only other thought is I must not be getting the case hot enough. I am using enough O2 to get rid of the soot, but not enough to actually weld with; I am familiar with doing this to steel (car rear ends, etc.) but I am not sure how hot I can go without damaging the AL gear case. Also, thinking about fabricating an adaptor to connect my slide hammer directly to the prop shaft (read that here as well). so, three questions:
    (1) how much heat is enough and for how long to get it apart without damaging anything (other than the paint)?
    (2) The prop shaft looks, based on eyeballing it and running a tap through my prop nut to be 18MMx1.5 Can anyone confirm this?
    (3) Any other suggestions or tricks from someone who has had a bunch of these apart before?
    I'm deploying soon (less than a week) and I really don't want to let this thing sit for 7 months if I can help it. Thanks for any help you can offer. I have never had something this hard to get apart before.

I see you found the forum I told you Rodbolt posts on, welcome aboard.
    Hopefully Rod or Bosco will have some info for you

Comment

Rodbolt is a genius

So after all the drama I had trying to get this bearing carrier out, I took a threaded rod connector ( basically a 1.5 inch long nut) and drilled and tapped each end; one endto fit my slide hammer and one end to fit my prop shaft. After applying ridiculous amounts of force to this thing for two days INCLUDING bending two sets of 1/2" eye bolts, and using a slide hammer and oxy - acetylene, I connected a slide hammer directly to the prop shaft (per another post I read from Rod Bolt) and had the carrier out in about 12 good whacks. I didn't even need to apply more heat. Thanks a lot!

Comment

thanks 99YAM40

And thanks to you as well for pointing me this way!

Comment

No problem, glad you got it apart

Comment

theboatguy1969 - I'm happy for your success and thanks for sharing. I gave up on the same job last year and let a trusted shop bail me out. After reading your post, I'm glad I did.

Comment

some times heat and brute force is your friend.
              its about 30 yrs experience to decide how much of either.

the cheesy Yamaha wire carrier removal tools wont work at the schoolhouse.

if I am going to remove just the carrier,very rare, I use a slightly modified OMC/BRP carrier tool.

Comment

Working...
              X