Overheating!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overheating!!!

Just got my 1995 25 hp out of the shop. Had both carbs rebuilt, fuel pump rebuilt, tune up, and all fluids replaced. I took it out for the first time and it started right up (hard cold start before). Let it warm up and putted around for awhile. Sounded great. Got it up on plane and it was running smoothly. Pumped it up to full throttle. Everything was great. I was keeping my eye out on the overheat light because the mechanic told me that the thermostat was stuck open and said it probably overheated at some point. About a half a mile away from the dock it started shutting itself down. I looked down and the overheat light was on. My question is what can I check myself before I take it back to the shop? Thanks for reading my post, Keith

Start by changing the impeller.

Based on how you worded things, I'm not sure if the t-stat is CURRENTLY stuck open, or if it WAS stuck. I'm also wondering why he said a stuck OPEN t-stat lead to an overheat? Did the t-stat get changed?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

overheating!!!

when they were going through the motor they told me I needed a new thermostat because the one that was in there was stuck in the open position. they said it was probably caused from overheating

Comment

and neither they nor you tried to find out IF it was overheating!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
        X