115 ETLK Excessive smoke after start up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115 ETLK Excessive smoke after start up

I have a (85) 115 2 stroke that after warming up for a few min while vehicle gets parked. We take off and after about a 1/2 mile then the motor really starts to smoke, you can feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel and hear the motor tone change like its missing on 1 cyl. You can be about a 1/2 mile ahead and look back and still see smoke coming out of the water. Kind of embarrassing heading out to your favorite fishing spot. After you drive for a mile or 2 it clears itself out and runs great for the rest of the day. I guessing oil is draining into the carbs. Was wondering if there is a quick fix for this issue or is there something else i should be checking into. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    1985 Yamaha 115 #115ETLK6E5L35 on a Lund Cherokee

I had a 70hp that did this, will be watching for replies. I never figured it out so went to pre mix and it went away.

Comment

Rodbolt17 Any ideas what could be causing these issues?

Comment

Have either of you checked the oil linkage to make sure it is set properly?

My guess is motor loading up on too much oil at low RPMs due to setting,
        or check oil check valves leaking by
        High RPMs eventually burns it off

Comment

I had a mechanic look at the linkage and he said everything seemed to be set and working the way it should be. It should load up when using the motor for *****ing for a longer time period. But it doesn't, just after the first start up for the day. It almost seems like after sitting with the motor tilted up for driving (with a transom saver) Not very high i might add that the next start up it really smokes bad. Is oil draining thru the pump from the pressure of the tank being higher than the pump?

Comment

does it have the original Kien pump?

could be leaking oil past the check valves.
            easy way to tell is remove the airbox,tilt up the motor and use the old peepers.

no laptop nessasary.

Comment

Yes i believe its the original pump. But i do not see any check valves. Are these check valves something I need to buy and install?

Comment

It is the original Kien pump. There are no check valves in the lines going to the carbs. I ordered the check valves. I found out that the check valves were an update in 1990, so hopefully this will take care of the problem. I appreciate the help and info.

Comment

Not sure you can add check valves to the original setup. They are for the Mikuni pump.
                  But maybe you can....I'd like to know....have same issue.

One thing for sure, if you add check valves those old crispy oil lines will need to be replaced to install the check valves. Becomes quite pricey to to valves plus lines. Might be better to buy the whole Mikuni kit which I hope comes with oil lines.

Comment

I installed the check valves and the oil lines were in really good shape yet. If i have any problems with the lines they will be replaced also. Just waiting for first chance to get it on the water. Probably wont know if they did the trick until second trip cause I'm sure it will smoke the first trip since there's probably oil in carbs from sitting all winter.

Comment

Well i finally got to take it out on the water today and everything worked great. No excessive smoke and it purred like a kitten. I think those check valves in the oil lines did the trick. Thanks to everyone for there insight and knowledge. This is a great forum to get answers to all kinds of problem as there are very knowledgeable people here! Thanks again!

Comment

Well the check valves didn't solve my problem. It still smokes excessively after take off. Took it in to get checked out, they found it was the control unit assembly. The switch on it was stuck in the on position so it was manually filling the main tank and causing it to be over loaded with oil. Replaced that and it runs great now. I just wanted to let everyone know in case they have a similar issue.

Comment

Working...
                        X