Command Link/Multifunction gauges

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Command Link/Multifunction gauges

Hello all. I am looking to put a tach on a 2013 Yamaha F90JA jet. I currently have the older Yamaha multifunction tach on a 2003 Yamaha 60/40 jet and its been perfect. Nothing fancy but does what I need. I have two electrical plugs on my F90 starboard engine, one is the white Command Link plug and then there is the opaque colored plug which is analog?.. ..Well for the heck of it I took my old 2003 multifunction gauge and plugged it into the opaque plug. Then I jumpered the trim sensor between plugs since they dont match up, then fired up the motor. I have rpm and trim on the old multifunction gauge
    Is there problem going this route instead of Command Link? I have no oil pressure sender or cooling water sender on the F90 so thats a feature I am spending extra money on with Command link. A multifunction gauge is cheaper and does all I need it too.
    I was looking at a 6Y5-8350t-83-00 multifunction gauge, trim/oil harness 6Y5-83653-00-00, and a 2 fuse harness 6Y5-83553-N0-00
    Thanks, John

For that model I would not use a Command Link tachometer. Not cost effective IMO. You can't get all of the functionality from the gauge when it is used with your model.

Why are you asking about a new multi-function tachometer? The one that you have, plus all wiring, will work just fine. If you just want a new one however Yamaha will like to have your money.

All you will need is a Yamaha adapter harness between the present trim/oil harness and the present tachometer.

Comment

Thanks for the reply boscoe99. The reason I am asking about a new one is that I am selling my old 2003 gauge with the boat. What is the deal with the "waterproof" plug and the three asterisks?
      Thanks, John

Comment

Oh, I thought it was repower. Same boat, just different model motor.

The triple asterisk is related to a note that says the water proof plug comes with the motor. It is removed from the connector on the motor and used to cover up an unused connector in the trim/oil harness.

The single asterisk is related to a note that says the harness comes in ********g lengths.

If this is all new stuff you are buying then this is another way to go about it.

Comment

Thanks for the info! I was thinking I was stuck with a CL gauge. There are so many Yamaha part numbers it's hard to decide what all I needed, this helps alot.

Comment

You might check to see if there is a tach kit for this, I believe Bossco99 has said in the past they are less money in the kit form instead of buying separate items.

But I could be wrong

Comment

hi Boscoe99,
              I have a 2014 F115LA and i purchased a Command Link Tach kit after purchasing my boat with the hopes of being able to utilize the Variable *****ing System offered with the CL Tach. After doing the necessary hook ups and testing after installation i cannot get the *****ing feature to work. Could i have wired this kit up incorrectly or is my motor not capable of doing this?

Comment

If you are seeing engine data on your Command Link tachometer then the variable *****ing speed function should work, as your model motor has this capability.

The motor does have to be warmed up for VTS to function however. Are you following the procedures in the owner's manual for the tachometer?

Is the tach square or round by the way?

Comment

Working...
                X