stuckpowerhead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stuckpowerhead

I have a 1991 225 yamaha. Tried to pull powerhead and broke off all 6 long bolts. What is the trick now to get powerhead loose

Originally posted by boatman113 View Post
    I have a 1991 225 yamaha. Tried to pull powerhead and broke off all 6 long bolts. What is the trick now to get powerhead loose
    Need help

Comment

The powerhead is stuckon my 225 1991 yamaha due to all six long bolts broke off while I tried to remove what should I do now.

Comment

Remove/break the rest of the nuts/bolts and then pry the power head off.

Comment

I can't help, but a suggestion... You wrote three messages within just a few short minutes. You might not get too many people responding with that type of impatience. It's not like you're paying for advice, you know? Just a friendly tip!
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
            I can't help, but a suggestion... You wrote three messages within just a few short minutes. You might not get too many people responding with that type of impatience. It's not like you're paying for advice, you know? Just a friendly tip!
            He was so busy writing messages that he could not check to see if all of the fasteners had been removed.

Not the first time that someone could not remove a block or a lower unit because of a fastener or two remaining. Those bolts are tough.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              He was so busy writing messages that he could not check to see if all of the fasteners had been removed.

Not the first time that someone could not remove a block or a lower unit because of a fastener or two remaining. Those bolts are tough.
              It's funny, I was thinking to myself... "If ALL of the bolts were broken, wouldn't that allow the powerhead to slip off"? Having never done this, though, I wasn't sure if there was a clearance issue if, say, just the bolt head broke off, leaving the full length of the stud still there. Sort of like an exhaust manifold for a stern drive. But, then, a powerhead in an OB would simply be taken off vertically, right? Maybe he has a low ceiling in the garage.

EDIT: Oh, I see what you're saying, now... there are MORE than 6. Gotcha.
              Last edited by DennisG01; 02-23-2015, 11:42 AM.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

If the bolts broke off with lots of shank still in the housing and the corrosion inside there holding it , there is not much that can be done except drill/tear things up trying to get it all out.
                I have seem people drill in from the side to cut bolts close to power head, pull the power head, and then beat the remains out of the housing

Comment

Working...
                X