2006 F90TLR. No power at igniton switch and trim not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2006 F90TLR. No power at igniton switch and trim not working

Hey all, This is whats been going on with my boat.
    A few months ago we started having an intermitant trim issue where the switch on the throttle and on the motor would have no effect besides a clicking sound in the relay. Then the trim stopped working all together but the clicking sound persited when either of the switches were pressed. Last week we were out and the boat kept wanting to die I managed to get it in but had to restart the motor several times. I replaced the fuel filter and all seemed fine but then after a few hours of running it wanted to die again. So we pulled the boat out of the water and let a mechanic take a look at it. He got the trim working again for a little bit (not sure how) but then he said it stopped working all of a sudden(relay died I guess) We where going to use the boat this week as we have company comming down so we went to start the boat and nothing no click just silence. I went and bought the $160 plug and play switch from a dealer and still nothing. The battery is charged. I'm getting voltage at the starter selinod by putting the volt tester to hot lead grounded on block. Havent tried to jump the starter with battery yet.
    My main question is if the mechanic burnt up the trim relay could he have burnt up the starter relay at the same time since they are all in that one unit at the front of the motor... Also I put a volt tester on the main plug for the ignition switch and none of the contacts had voltage and when I hit the starter none of the gauges move but I still have power for the radio and lights when I turn on the master power switch.
    Thanks David
    Last edited by 99sebring; 02-19-2015, 04:36 PM.

Has the main fuse been checked and confirmed to be working correctly?

From what I am reading you either have a battery problem or a connectivity problem.

You say you are getting voltage at the starter motor relay. Is that with the key switch turned to the start position?

I suspect that the trim and tilt relay is just fine and you have a perfectly good second unit.

Read up on all that you can about "voltage drop".

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
      Has the main fuse been checked and confirmed to be working correctly?

From what I am reading you either have a battery problem or a connectivity problem.

You say you are getting voltage at the starter motor relay. Is that with the key switch turned to the start position?

I suspect that the trim and tilt relay is just fine and you have a perfectly good second unit.

Read up on all that you can about "voltage drop".
      Where is the main fuse? As for the voltage I'm getting that at the starter seliniod not on the relay and no the switch was not in the start position it may have been in the on position though. I wondering if it's the Nutral safty switch? Is there anyway to bypass it for testing?

Comment

Originally posted by 99sebring View Post
        Where is the main fuse? As for the voltage I'm getting that at the starter seliniod not on the relay and no the switch was not in the start position it may have been in the on position though. I wondering if it's the Nutral safty switch? Is there anyway to bypass it for testing?
        It is right where the owner's manual shows it to be. Page 70 in the owner's manual. Fuse is located within the fuse box.

Fix the fuse problem first. Then go from there.

The neutral safety switch has nothing to do with the trim/tilt relay. The fuse does.

Comment

It is right where the owner's manual shows it to be. Page 70 in the owner's manual. Fuse is located within the fuse box.

Fix the fuse problem first. Then go from there.

The neutral safety switch has nothing to do with the trim/tilt relay. The fuse does.
          Oh yea all those fuses were good. I checked the connections on the battery and they were tight. I also tried jumper cables from my car and still nothing.

Comment

need to be using a voltmeter to make sure connections are good.

There are getting to be too many 99s on here

Comment

Originally posted by 99sebring View Post
              Oh yea all those fuses were good. I checked the connections on the battery and they were tight. I also tried jumper cables from my car and still nothing.
              Where on the motor did you attached the ends of the battery jumper cables?

Comment

Where on the motor did you attached the ends of the battery jumper cables?
                On the battery posts

Comment

The cables can go bad inside.
                  You need to be using a voltmeter to measure voltage at different places to see where you have good voltage and where you do not.

Under a load also.

Negative cables can cause problems also

Comment

For the most part the trim/tilt circuit and the starter motor circuit are completely different from each other. But, they do have a few things in common, the most important being the power supply.

It is highly unlikely that both the trim/tilt system and the starter system would fail at the same time. That is why I am thinking that you have a power supply issue.

Take a known good battery and using battery cables connect it directly to the engine. Negative terminal to the block and the positive terminal to the starter solenoid positive post.

With the key on you should have power at the dash. If not, check the fuses again.

Press the trim and tilt button. The trim and tilt motor should start working.

Turn the key to ON position. The motor should crank.

See diagram below. Not precisely the same as your motor but the circuit arrangement is the same.

Comment

Working...
                    X