The elusive tach monster..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The elusive tach monster..

Finally found the MONSTER.. and it was my fault. Every 6 months or so, I was in the habit of gently spraying down the inside of the motor to get rid of the salt haze that accumulates on everything under the cowling. Looks like I will be changing my routine because I am pretty sure I have found the problem with my tach not working... It was tough pulling apart the 10 pin connector under the cowling but here is what I found.. The red 12V+ pin on both the male and female side had been eaten away right down to the nubs and there was still a bit of standing water in the connector on the female side. Both the male and female connectors NEXT to the red12V+ have some corrosion but are salvageable with cleaning.

My thoughts are to splice in a red wire just above connector where the red exits the male end and run that wire up to the console and tie it in there to the red bullet connector. However, is there already a red 12V+ wire in the console that I can use? I FAR prefer not having to buy a whole new 10 pin cable as it is very difficult for this 'ol Viet Nam veteran to lay on the deck sideways in a very tight spot and try and find where all that spaghetti disconnects and reconnects.
Working...
X