Solenoid/Relay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solenoid/Relay

Does anyone know if a solenoid/ relay has to get exactly 12 volts to work? I'm only getting 11 volts to the coil of the relay and it is not closing to complete the circuit. Thank you.

If it is rated for 12 volts, and is only getting 11 volts, I can certainly see that as a cause of a relay failing to work. Some are more sensitive to voltages than others.

You need to find out why you are only getting 11 volts to the relay.

I bet that if you jumper a fully charged 12 volt battery to the relay it will close (or open) as it is designed to do.

Comment

Thank you for the reply. The solenoid is working. 11V just won't activate it. It needs 12v +. I'll have to take it in and have it looked at. I just can't figure it out. Thanks anyway.

Comment

What is the product to which the relay is attached?

I am going to guess that it is a starter motor relay. Does the battery have about 12.7 volts? Does the battery maintain about 12.7 volts when the start button is pressed or the key is turned? It should.

Check any and all electrical connections. Corrosion in a connector can cause a voltage drop issue. You might start with 12.7 volts at the battery and lose voltage along the way due to poor connections. Battery cables need to be clean and tight at both ends. If a battery switch is used check the connections on the switch or the contacts within the switch.

Battery cables themselves can fail internally and cause a voltage drop (loss) issue.

Comment

Working...
        X