Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F150 Synch & Link

Hello,
    I have a question about the Synch & Link for an 08 LF150TXR.
    I have the shop manual, vacuum gauges, YDS cables & software and wanted to check the throttle plates and if necessary synch. The motor runs and idles like it should but at idle it has a very slight shake to it. (twin engines on a 26' center console) When it was new it had a very noticeable shake and I took it to the local Yamaha dealer who performed a S&L and it took out a good bit of the shake, but a tiny bit is still there and I wanted to see if I can smooth it out even further. This is the port engine the starboard runs perfect and is rock solid during idle ...no shake at all.
    Anyway, my question is, during the procedure the shop manual is a little confusing (at least to me) when it says to adjust cylindres 1& 4 to compare with 2&3 or some combination like that.
    In the past I have synched carburetors on motorcycles but I always just synched all the carbs to match the best I could using one carb as a reference.
    Could I do this the same way?
    I know I will have to check (and if necessary adjust) the TPS after doing this.
    Any detail on this procedure would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Kirk

The synch and link procedure for the F150 has been updated/modified on several occasions by Yamaha US. You might want to see if you can get a copy of the latest procedures from your Yamaha dealer.

I would only do it following published procedures.

Comment

thanks

Thanks Boscoe but I doubt if the dealer here would give me that as they would want to do it and charge me.
      I just thought someone here might know the latest.
      Thanks guys,
      Kirk

Comment

Originally posted by Kirk Gibson View Post
        Thanks Boscoe but I doubt if the dealer here would give me that as they would want to do it and charge me.
        I just thought someone here might know the latest.
        Thanks guys,
        Kirk
        I have the original Yamaha procedure (PDF and paper copy), but its from probably 2008 or so.

If there's an updated version, I don't have it.. Wouldn't mind having it thou..

Rodbolt may get the updated service "update" at work and chime in..

And if you didn't notice, the 150 has just TWO throttle bodies, with only one adjustment. 1 & 2 are set(one butterfly shaft), 3 & 4 one butterfly shaft. Not nearly as tunable as 4 separate carbs or TB's.

Unlike the newer FI'ed bikes, which adjust with air screws for the sync, the OB sync's the butterfly shaft ONLY.

And yes, the manual sucks re the procedure.. I've put my Morgan Carbtune on it as well (mostly used for bikes as well)
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-14-2015, 03:25 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Some while back Rodbolt gave his simple, easy to read and understand linq and sync procedure...maybe do a forum search for it....

Comment

Thanks

Thanks again,
            Robert, that is the first thing I did was a search on here...maybe I did something wrong in the search.
            Yes the manual leaves a lot to be desired ...they make it sound like there is an adjustment for each cylinder.
            Hope rodbolt chimes in.

Comment

I would follow Boscoes recommendation and contact your local dealer to see if he will print out a copy of the latest update for you to follow

can't hurt to ask to see what they say
              Last edited by 99yam40; 02-14-2015, 06:26 PM.

Comment

Dealer

Yes, I will try that on Monday, but I am not holding my breath on that one.
                I'm sure they would feel like I am taking money out of their pockets by doing it myself.

Comment

in the meantime. do a forum search for a thread started by Sierra I think.
                  I have posted extensively on syncing(and faking out the ECM) on the F150.
                  especially ones that exhibit stalling at light throttle application just off idle.

Comment

members name was high sierra and the thread was started in 2010 sometime.
                    I just cant find it.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                      members name was high sierra and the thread was started in 2010 sometime.
                      I just cant find it.
                      10/10 would read again

Comment

Post #6,

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...0-th15195.html
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I musta wasted a lot of life span on that thread.
                          I still say the original issue was a fault in the lync and sync.
                          its a 20 min fix that most F150 motors before about 2011 need.
                          the rest were most likely tech induced failures,which seem to happen a lot.

like I stated my personal 2007 F150 did this stalling off idle out of the box.
                          I not only was using the boat to demonstrate this new tech with command link, I live on a canal with neighbors.
                          the bad thing about that stall is its also accompanied by an annoying stall alarm audible that all the neighbors got to hear.

that's why I figured it out.

its hard to sell a motor your demonstrating when it stalls and alarms while maneuvering in the harbor.

Comment

Thanks Rodbolt

Thanks,
                            Would this procedure work to take out the slight shake? Mine isn't stalling.
                            Other than the slight shake it runs like a dream.
                            If I follow the manual and adjusted all four cylinders to be as close together as I could get (all within 4kpa) then set the TPS and made sure everything else was within parameters would that work?
                            Unless you feel your method would smooth it out better.
                            Thanks for your time and input.
                            Kirk

Comment

The latest F150 service manual includes the updated sync and link procedures. LIT-18616-03-35.

Who knows if it will mitigate/eliminate any shake.

When was the last time the throttle bodies were cleaned?

What version balancer do you have in your motor? Not that the balancer is causing the shake issue however.
                              Last edited by boscoe99; 02-15-2015, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X