No announcement yet.

F100 flywheel removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a good product, too. Your description of the condition of your engine sounds exactly like my stuff that has had Boeshield on it.

I agree about petroleum distillates. I 'think' Boeshield has some in it, but it clearly states that it's fine for rubber parts. Or, at least, if my memory serves it does - it's been a few years since I remember checking on that. Without being a chemist, I would have to assume that whatever amount of petroleum is in there is safe - or even that maybe it flashes off. Considering how long Boeshield has been around, I would have to say that it's pretty safe. But it's good to know there are other, top-quality options out there.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
      I use LPS2; http://www.lpslabs.com/product-details/561 which was recommended by my Yamaha dealer...

I don't believe it has any petroleum distilliates (like some other products) which isn't good for rubber parts, etc..
      May want to look at the material make up ,
      It is mainly petroleum distillates and petroleum oil with a little carbon dioxide to pressurize the can.

But if it does what you want it to then you are good to go

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        May want to look at the material make up ,
        It is mainly petroleum distillates and petroleum oil with a little carbon dioxide to pressurize the can.

But if it does what you want it to then you are good to go
        I was using another product (forgot what it was) on my old engine. When at the dealership, they frowned when I mentioned it and pushed this product.

They assured me it was safe to use on the engine itself without any harmfull effects on the rubber, etc. It wasn't cheap but for my investment, anything to help protect it I'll use..

The only rust I have on the engine is a NON SS washer exposed to the water under the powerhead (you can easily see it just peeking upwards on the starboard side).. Why Yamaha put a regular washer (looks like a flat fender washer) there is beyond me... But under the hood (and elsewhere actually), no corrosion what so ever... I do grease the steering, tilt tube grease fittings with Yamaha's suggested brand grease after every use.. Cheap insurance..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I was just gigging you for the no petroleum distillates comment

Comment

Hi guys!

Thanks for your suggestions but that 2 products you mentioned seems to be hard to find in EU and order from US postage make them to be VERY expensive so I have to find something around for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              I was just gigging you for the no petroleum distillates comment
              Yea, I know!!

Almetelo, if you can't find anything local, I'm pretty sure Yamaha makes a product that does the same thing. You should be able to order thru your local Yamaha marine dealer/parts...

Here ya go;

Yamaha Yamashield Protectant and Lubricant Spray

Yamashield, replaces BoeshieldB9

Dennis, I gather this is similar to what you have, maybe updated some..
              Scott

Comment

other than being nastier than boeshield, fluid film works great.

I have motors I service that have been sprayed down with fluid film since about 2001 that I know of with no effect on insulation or plastic parts,

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                  other than being nastier than boeshield, fluid film works great.
                  Which is "fluid film", the Yamaha stuff?

Any experiance / opinion with the LPS2 stuff?
                  Scott

Comment

never tried the LPS2 stuff.
                    I have always used Fluid Film cause that's what the dealer stocked,
                    fluid Film is the product name. its not affiliated with any outboard manufacturer that I am aware of.

Comment

Which is "fluid film", the Yamaha stuff?

Any experiance / opinion with the LPS2 stuff?
                      LPS2 is great stuff. In fact, all of the LPS products (1,2,3) are good stuff. Very widely used in aviation. Just take care to use the right number for actual application. I go sparingly with the number 3.

Comment

Hi guys!

Rod, If youŽre talking about this product I can find it in UK for +/- $20
                        However I'll have a look on local auto parts shops and my local Yamaha dealer to check what I can find.

So far I used WD-40 and on my 2 strk 30x3 I used to spray it with 2 strk oil TC-W3

IŽll let you know how is my cleaning

Comment

yep, that's the nasty stuff but it works very well.
                          I also use it when torching out bolts and bearing carriers as it doesn't flame up.

Comment

Yamashield, replaces BoeshieldB9

Dennis, I gather this is similar to what you have, maybe updated some..
                            From the description of the Yamashield, it sounds just like the Boeshield T9. If I was a bettin' man, I'd say the reason it "replaces" T9 is that Yamaha finally came out with their own version of T9, and nothing more. Looks like either of those (or the LPS stuff or Fluid film) are a good product to use. They're probably all very similar.

WD-40 is "OK', but in terms of long term protection it doesn't hold a candle to Boeshield - and based on what the other guys are saying, not compared to those products, either. WD-40 is a great starting fluid for diesels, though!
                            Last edited by DennisG01; 02-14-2015, 10:56 AM.
                            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks guys, good information to have..

Just for S&G's,
                              Some close ups taken of my 07 this am (salt / brackish water use);

Scott

Comment

Scott your motor look like new, you take good care of your stuff.

Today I've been cleaning stator and motor.

Started using sandpaper but soon moved to a wire soft brush on the driller.

Rusty/cleaned stators VS spare stator.

My spare stator doesnŽt seems to look much better

Tested the stator with a multimeter and is good.
                                Later will test it with the DVA

Timing belt got some WD-40 oil type (not much) from when I soaped the flywheel/crankshaft to release the flywheel, that may be a problem?

Rod, If I'm not wrong guess I've read on a previous post you prefer a analog/needle DVA, any diference from a digital?

Comment

Working...
                                X