canceling codes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canceling codes

My 2012, 150 HP Yamaha 4-stroke gave a "check engine" light. The dealer read the code and said it was the shift interrupter switch switch. He cancelled the code, but made no repairs. The next time I used the boat the light came on again. I think the shift cable needs adjustment (rather bad a bad switch).
    I would like to try this myself. My question is: After I make the adjustment, how to I cancel the error code so the engine light will non come on again?

Thanks for you help.

Fix the problem and you won't get a check engine light.

If a fault code is stored within the ECU you will need YDIS connected to a PC to clear the code.

I am betting on it being the shift switch.

What sort of gauge do you have?
    Last edited by boscoe99; 02-01-2015, 01:35 PM.

Comment

I have command link square gages.
      Keysguy1

Comment

on the command link tach, key on engine off.
        press and hold the mode button about 16 seconds to display codes.
        it an on/off micro switch.
        to test use an ohmmeter acrossed the connector terminals.
        a quick operational test is with the engine running pull the shift slide,engine should miss.

that engine uses both a shift cut switch AND a neutral position switch on the shift slide.

several things can happen.if the ECU sees an open circuit(above4.5V,if the switch is closed and it gets a crank signal or if both the position and cut switchs are 'ON' for 5 seconds.

just remember,that switch is on or off but it does have a bypass resistor. the ECU is rather stupid and it sets codes based on what it "sees".

wont be the first switch,or component, I have seen replaced over a broken wire.

cant tell you how many TPS sensors I have seen replaced due to another sensor,or wire failure,loading the circuit down and the ECU set the code for TPS then when a new on is installed and the tech still says"the computer said its bad.
        no the computer said NOTHING.
        the engine ECU saw it out of paremeter and simply gave the tech an indication.

Comment

Working...
        X