Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F100 propeller

Hi!

A Mercury Laser 2 prop 48-16990-A40 20P (13 1/4 20p) will feat on a Yamaha F100?

I Guess so but not sure...

My F100 on my KL 16 with 12 5/8 21K prop motor revs up to 5700, 5800 all trimmed out so I would like to try this Mercury 20P prop but donīt want to buy it if will not feat.

I know that on the latest 48-16990-A45 20P the hub can be changed but on older 48-16690-A40 I'm not sure.

Even if will feat I'm not sure if I can get what I'm looking for (reach 6k rpm at wot) as this prop have 1 pitch less but more diameter.

I know we cannot compare pitch across propeller models with consistency

I may get more 100, 200rpm at best but since it have more diameter...
    Last edited by almetelo; 01-21-2015, 07:39 AM.

Does this help?

http://yamahaoutboards.com/owner-res...ance-bulletins OR

Picking a Propeller | Yamaha Outboards
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-21-2015, 09:21 AM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Hi Scott!

Thanks!

What I'm looking for is really know if that prop will fit my motor.
      I Just know it have 15 splines and must match here.

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
        Hi Scott!

Thanks!

What I'm looking for is really know if that prop will fit my motor.
        I Just know it have 15 splines and must match here.
        Your welcome but IDK...

I started out with an aluminum prop(what I could afford) on my engine and then moved up to a SS prop (Not a Yamaha brand, considerably more expensive). I knew how the engine ran with that particular prop and once I went to the local prop place, they were able to get me the correct SS prop which is perfect for the boat/engine...

IMO, if your going to keep the boat/engine for any lenth of time, the SS is well worth the investment.. Doesn't get dinged / nicked up like the aluminum props (we have a lot of shallows down here that I tend to locate )
        Scott

Comment

Hi Scott!

Yes, I tend to keep this boat and motor.

So far I havenīt got a SS prop exactly because of shallows.
          We have lots of shallows around here that are constantly moving with tides, winds etc etc
          Fortunately most are of sand and a few of mud but almost no rocks.
          My idea is that with a ALU prop if I hit something I can easily damage the prop but motor will suffer much less, with a SS prop in case of hit something may remain in good conditions but motor may suffer much more so I prefer damage the prop than the motor but maybe is a wrong idea.

On some places at low tide I prefer to use my other boat with a 30x3 with no PTT, tiller handle with free motor so if hit something motor raises easily and I can hold it, I can also do some beaching

A 20 pitch prop may be exactely what I need... but I donīt want to spend a fortune on a prop and I'm looking for a good used SS 20p prop (I couldnīt find a ALU 20p prop around) but used marked doesn't offer much on this pitch in EU (used in good conditions)

Comment

Down here, in the river before you get to the Gulf of Mexico, are LOTS of shallow spots with oyster bars, (not really any rocks to speak of).

Its all idle (Manatee) area's so impact is at slow speeds.

I have run aground hard (again oysters/sand at about 30 MPH with no damage short of missing paint on the skeg). Prop still looks new..

With the old, aluminum prop, I was constantly filing nicks out after about every outing. With the SS prop, haven't since it was installed and still looks new.

Now, I did have a "Skeg Gard"; http://skeggard.com/ (same as in the pic) custom made (drain hole to the rear, NOT the front) which I installed.

No more re-painting the LU, helps protect the prop.. Downside, I might have lost 1 MPH at WOT...

BTW, they custom made it for me with NO deposite (had to drill the drain before welding) for no extra $ and was cheaper than at the marina for something off the shelf..
            Scott

Comment

Working...
            X