1997 C25 Ignition Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1997 C25 Ignition Question

I have a 1997 C25 MLH. I have the factory service manual. I have cleaned and rebuilt the carb. New plugs. Been decarbonized. Clean fuel at proper mix.

I have a miss from low idle (1100 per manual) through roughly 2500, then it smoothes out through WOT

I cannot get the timing in specification using a timing light. Full retarded timing is 6 ATDC +-2. If I have the bracket adjusted all the way to retard, it won't go below 4. I know that is within the lowest spec tolerance, but then I cannot get 22BTDC WOT spec.

I have tested the pulser coil, charge coil, and primary and secondary coil resistance. All are outside of what the factory manual specifies. I verified the resistance readings with two different DMM's

I find it hard to believe that every part of my ignition system is bad. I have not tested the CDI box yet.

Also, the manual shows two pulsers and two ignition coils, I only have one of each, so is there a possibility the factory manual is wrong? Did they change something mid year?

​​​​​​​Thanks for your help!

Not unusual for a Yamaha SM to have errors.

What are the values that you recorded for the ignition system components? Resistance and voltage please.

Comment

Coil primary resistance is .3 ohms. Manual specs .18 - .24 Secondary side of coil- It starts reading and then climbs beyond the scale.

Pulser coil is 106.6 ohms. Manual specs 311 - 381

Charge coil is 240 ohms. Manual specs 342-418

My manual does not have voltage specs, and I do not have a DVA.

Edited to show manual specs.
      Last edited by Clodhopper; 06-19-2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

I have tested spark gap and it is hot blue at a 10mm gap

Comment

I have a feeling you do not have a Yamaha service manual, maybe an after market one, but I could be wrong.

peak voltage is the best way to test, but since you show good spark, what are you concerned about?
          I have no idea what manual would call for 1100 at low idle
          did you verify the timing mark at TDC for #1 cylinder?
          Last edited by 99yam40; 06-19-2020, 10:36 PM.

Comment

I built a DVA. These are my voltage readings at idle

Charge coil 248 vdc
            pulser coil 25 vdc

When I get this corrected, I will post the solution, so that maybe it will help someone else searching this problem.

Comment

Go to http://www.cdielectronics.com/ and look up your engine...it should have the peak voltages you are looking for.

Comment

Working...
              X