bought an old ski boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bought an old ski boat

hey guys, the boat is a 91' ski centurion with a 225 Yamaha TLRP. When I run the motor in my driveway on earmuffs, no problems. When I take it out, the motor coughs, stalls, won't even let me put it in gear without coughing and dying. I have replaced the plugs, the 2 fuel pumps, fuel filter, performed a compression test...102-109 on all 6 cylinders. About to take off the carbs one by one and clean. I have some mechanical skills, but new this! Any words of advice?

I also replaced the lower end oil and the water pump assembly.

Comment

carbs running lean would be my guess.
      no load or back pressure from water and it runs fine.
      put in water and it has a problem

Comment

Plus 1 ^^ re carbs..

Below is the parts diagram for your carbs. Make sure you get to ALL the jets
        and blow /clean out ALL orifices..

https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...lrp/carburetor
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

this is great, thanks for the help. btw, all the jets on the site/link you sent me are unavailable! I will do my best to clean everything out

Comment

where can i go to find the factory settings for the carbs?

Comment

After cleaning the carbs out, the engine ran great. Idle was smooth, and the acceleration was fun. The problem I ran into was with the Yamaha 703 throttle/con*****er. intermittent buzzing was coming from it which would cause the engine to stall and bog down. Tried playing with it but the problem got to point where I couldn't go much faster than an idle. I see a bunch of them on line for sale which makes me think its a common problem. The one I have is a 10 pin, is there any other info I need to check to make sure Im getting the right one? Also, anything else I should be looking at. Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

the alarm buzzer is indicating you have an overheated motor or a low oil level in the motor mounted oil tank.
                gauges help by indicating which of those is alarming.
                running the motor with either of those conditions will destroy the motor

Comment

Wow! Holy sh*t do I feel stupid! thank you for the post. Alot of the gauges are not working. the oil tank mounted to the engine has oil, and I just replaced the water pump. any other way to check what the problem is. Not sure where to start..

Comment

hard to duplicate the problem in my driveway to diagnose. earmuffs don't create the same load. thanks again 99yam40

Comment

Get yourself a Yamaha service manual for your engine. In it you will find the information you need to set up the carbs and how to test the warning systems on the engine. Like yam said the alarm is going off for a reason, hopefully it is a false alarm....but probably not.

Comment

Originally posted by Moopers1 View Post
                        Wow! Holy sh*t do I feel stupid! thank you for the post. Alot of the gauges are not working. the oil tank mounted to the engine has oil, and I just replaced the water pump. any other way to check what the problem is. Not sure where to start..
                        I would work on getting the gauges to function as they are suppose to.
                        if the alarm goes away after sitting for a little while to cool off ,I would think it is the overheat that is happening.
                        but the gauges are there to tell you what is happening

thermostats, PRV, plugged up cooling passages, bad install on water pump, all could lead to overheat

Comment

Working...
                        X