Digital gauge difference 2007 vmax f200

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Digital gauge difference 2007 vmax f200

I bought a boat and the seller told me the trim display on the digital gauge has never worked since he repowered the boat with the 07 vmax.. I'm trying to find out if this is true. I looked under my tach it has two 4 pin plugs matching the harness. And all is hooked up. I understand other tachs have 1 plug but mine doesn't so the trim should work I thought..... My trim sender has 2 wires. Any help is appreciated. Is my gauge the correct gauge or no. If not can I make it work by splicing or ordering the adapters. Thanks so much
    Last edited by Codyjmhs2007; 01-11-2015, 05:54 PM.

I am presuming that you have a VZ200. Is that correct? Vmax tells us very little. There are many versions of Vmax motors.

First thing that I would check is the trim sender cam. If it is broken, a known issue, then the sender won't change positions when the motor is trimmed up. The cam was made of plastic.

Yamaha offers a trim sender cam that is made of stainless steel.

Comment

yes I was on my phone last night and could not type all the specifics well. But I checked the trim sending unit read tons of forums about that. The thing that bothers me is he said when I bought it the gauge was not the correct gauge. After lots of forum reading about my fuel gauge suddenly stopping. I read how the tachs have different wiring for different years. plan on calling Yamaha Monday. but wanted a answer fast. The tach has 2 plastic plugs both are connected to harness. one has four wires 4 pins. the other is a 4 pin connector but only has 2 green wires going to the plug. I think from reading that's the oil tank wires. so I was wondering if that gauge looking at the wiring is the correct model or if I need the other model gauge. maybe the owner just thought the gauge was the wrong one but really the whole time its the sending unit. so my question really is can someone explain the 2 types of different gauges to me and which one do I need. and no I don't have the serial number ill have to goto the shop and look thanks again sorry for lack of info

Comment

while getting the info on motor see if you can find some on the tach also

Need to make sure the tach is set up for the 2 wire sender
        Last edited by 99yam40; 01-11-2015, 05:35 PM.

Comment

ok thanks I did put test on the sender I unplugged it inside engine cowling and it does show increase and decrease in ohms on the meter im not a expert on these meters but I know to set it on ohms and it did move along with motor. and when I pushed it with my finger. so again im back to the gauge. the 4 prong plastic connector that has 4 wires in it from the gauge does have black and pink wires in it which are the same color as sender so in my mind I believe it is all connected idk why the gauge wont respond... it just shows trim all the way up and blinking top bar
          Last edited by Codyjmhs2007; 01-11-2015, 05:51 PM.

Comment

engine is vx200 RTLR 6P5L 1003470 still had bill of sale on my phone lol. no gauge numbers yet the gauge has the two buttons on bottom oil and temp bars on bottom screen. round digital. 2 plastic 4 prong connectors and 4 stray wires.

Comment

and yes I already checked dip switches they are set correct thanks.. just saw that question. to my understanding if I had the wrong gauge it would be a gauge with only 1 connector. but since mine has all the correct wires maybe the gauge is just bad. my fuel display on my speed gauge is not working either it just suddenly started blinking 1 bar so im already looking for s speed gauge. maybe I need both. I know the fuel gauge issue is not sender or ground issue or wiring issue did all the test it just started out of blue. gauge doesent even read full when first turn key on. do these gauges really just go out. no sun damage or anything. but they are several years old.

Comment

A Yamaha conventional digital display multifunction display has either one four pin nylon connector or two four pin nylon connectors. These connectors are in addition to four single wires that have bullet connectors on the end of each wire.

Please clarify how many four pin nylon connectors yours has. Four pin nylon connectors only. In one post you mention two nylon connectors and in another post you mention one nylon connector.

Also, clarify your model identity. Yamaha did not offer a VX200RTLR in 2007. They did offer a VZ200RTLR however.

Your model was intended to be used with a tachometer that has just one nylon connector. However, a two nylon connector tachometer can be used with your motor if an adapter harness is used. It sounds as if a twin connector trim/oil harness is connected to your tachometer. Check the engine pan and see if both connectors at the other end are connected to anything.

Comment

Sorry for my mistakes.... its vz200 two nylon connectors.... yes at the motor the trim sender connector is hooked up going somewhere in hull. How does the adapter harness work. If I get a gauge with 1 nylon plug how does oil harness hookup

Comment

Forget the connector that comes from the sender. It goes into the wire harness and comes out a four pin connector.

A 2007 VZ200 with one single nylon connector in the engine pan is normally connected to a two connector gauge as shown in the illustration below. But, it can be wired in a different manner using a harness that has two connectors at each end.

But first, check the harness that comes from the tachometer. Does it go directly back to the motor or is there a short adapter harness already there?

Comment

Here is another way of doing the same thing.

Comment

It seems like the 2 connectors on the harness hooked to the gauge are all in one harness it does not look like they are two seperate harnesses. But I could be wrong everything's tightly wrapped together I pm you my cell if it's easier to talk than type lol but your helping I thank you

Comment

Idk if this helps answer you harness questions at the gauge but like I said one of the nylon connectors only has 2 green wires coming from it. Idk if there is a plugged connector at the engine I am pretty sure I didn't see one. At the engine I see a big round harness connector. The small nylon 2 wire sender connector and more wires laying in the bottom but don't see a connector for them and don't know where they go.
                          Last edited by Codyjmhs2007; 01-11-2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X