Buying an F100hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying an F100hp

I’m looking to upgrade with a 2000 Yamaha 100-HP four stroke outboard. Does this have a carburetor? Anyone have any comments or experience on this model motor... Good? Bad? Problematic?

Both model F100's have carbs;

2000 F100TXRY Yamaha Outboard Parts
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

A carburetor? How about four of the bastards?

Carburetors can and will be problematic.

If the fuel is kept clean and the motor is used frequently it can be a good motor. Let it sit not being used for long periods of time, or use degraded fuel, and it can be the motor from hell.

Look at the prices of a carburetor should you ever need one. Or two. Or three.

You might want to consider upgrading to an electronic fuel injected F115.

Comment

As you stated, if you keep the fuel stabilized, etc, I'd rather have carbs in a NY minute.

Much more user friendly should you have issues.

You don't have to send out injectors, not nearly as many filters, buried VST's and filters. HP pumps, LP pumps, etc. Put a butterfly choke on the carb, even better!

Put the dirty carb on a bench, clean two jets (usually), re-install...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Check the rectifier/ regulator they've been known to over heat an burn up your ECU unit.Do a Google search on F100 and F80 basically the same motor

Comment

If you can afford it, go with the EFI version.

Comment

EFI is just so much easier to maintain and tolerates sitting way better than carbs.

Comment

Thanks for all the replies. I really want an F90 but very difficult to find a good used one. This F100 is avail now and I need to repower before Salmon season . But I'll continue my search. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

If the fuel is kept clean and the motor is used frequently it can be a good motor.
                  Carbs on this model is known as could be problematic but on my F100 I have no complains so far...
                  Use fresh fuel or a fuel stabilizer (i donīt use fuel stabilizer as I use portable tanks and the gas don't sit for too long), drain carbs if you'll be with out using it for a few weeks or more, no ethanol here..., and very important use a pre fuel filter with water separator IMO
                  I have a spare set of carbs for my motor but fortunately I donīt need them so far...

Originally posted by Marc Kruse View Post
                  Check the rectifier/ regulator they've been known to over heat an burn up your ECU unit
                  Be sure you keep all current connections tight.

If you find one at good shape and you take good care of it I guess you'll not be desapointed...

Off couse if when I bought mine if I could choose an EFI that would be the choise but were not available at the time...

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
                    Carbs on this model is known as could be problematic but on my F100 I have no complains so far...
                    Use fresh fuel or a fuel stabilizer (i donīt use fuel stabilizer as I use portable tanks and the gas don't sit for too long), drain carbs if you'll be with out using it for a few weeks or more, no ethanol here..., and very important use a pre fuel filter with water separator IMO
                    I have a spare set of carbs for my motor but fortunately I donīt need them so far...

Be sure you keep all current connections tight.

If you find one at good shape and you take good care of it I guess you'll not be desapointed...

Off couse if when I bought mine if I could choose an EFI that would be the choise but were not available at the time...
                    I wasn't trying to scare you away from this motor just telling you what to ck I have a F80 that I've been using for 3years and have no complaints.

Comment

Well it guess it's for the best. The motor sold to another buyer .

Comment

I guess it wasn't meant to be

Comment

Working...
                        X