X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 150 v6 2stroke question

Hello to everyone.
    My first post here.
    I am an owner of this outboard witch i bought with 220h.
    As i didn't knew the service past i got down a full service by myself.
    I got down carbs,cleaned them and adjust floats,pilot screws etc just like service manual said so.
    I also changed reeds with carbon from boyesen.
    Impeller with housing also changed along with gear lube,thermostats (both).
    My question has to do with head gasket.
    Do we use any sealant between head and gasket or we put it just as it is?
    It is necessary to change the gasket that is before power head (the one that water come through)?
    Of course i am going to use power wrench to bolts.
    Thank you in advance for your answers!

Originally posted by Angel-yam View Post
    My question has to do with head gasket.
    Do we use any sealant between head and gasket or we put it just as it is?
    It is necessary to change the gasket that is before power head (the one that water come through)?
    Of course i am going to use power wrench to bolts.
    Thank you in advance for your answers!
    Just make sure all surfaces are super clean and ALL old gasket material cleaned off. You shouldn't need any sealer on any surfaces.

Make sure you torque the bolts in the specified order (sometimes #'ed on the head/cover) I believe in three stage increments.

You do need all NEW gaskets.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Of course i am going to use power wrench to bolts
      What is that, production line at the factory? Repair shop? You have only one engine, so take your time, tighten bolts slowly, each bolt has to be cleaned, each threaded hole cleaned, Yamaha thread sealer recommended. Than tighten them according to torque specified for each bolt and in order. If you care, of course.

Comment

Thanks for the answers.
        Of course no stress but certain steps just like repair manual says so.
        My basic concern is about if is necessary to use sealant between gasket and head and if it is mandatory to change also the top gasket before head (the one that water comes through).

Comment

I am fairly sure the power wrench he speaks of is really a torque wrench.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
            I am fairly sure the power wrench he speaks of is really a torque wrench.
            Exactly!!!

Comment

What do you call an air powered or electric driven power wrench?? (such as a standard air gun)
              Scott

Comment

Sorry i can't understand your question.
                What i ment above was torque wrench.

Comment

Angel, where are you from? I'm also curious (like Scott) about how the same tool can be called different things in different countries. This is what Scott was referring to. It uses compressed air. We often just refer to it as an 'air gun', but your use of the term "power wrench" also made me think of an air gun.

[IMG][/IMG]
                  Last edited by DennisG01; 01-08-2015, 08:25 PM.
                  2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                  1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

It required three torque wrenches for engine: 1/4", 3/8", 1/2" all with own range of torque. check repair manual, it's all there, about sealants and such. the best to buy complete set of gaskets for engine and replace them all.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
                      Angel, where are you from? I'm also curious (like Scott) about how the same tool can be called different things in different countries. This is what Scott was referring to. It uses compressed air. We often just refer to it as an 'air gun', but your use of the term "power wrench" also made me think of an air gun.

[IMG][/IMG]
                      Exactly Dennis!! Guess I should have added a pic...
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        Exactly Dennis!! Guess I should have added a pic...
                        I was going to try and just explain it. But then I realized that, given the language barrier, I would probably just make it worse. Besides, I was bored last night at work.

Comment

Air impact or battery powered impact are the names I am familiar with not just air gun

Comment

Now that we know that a torque wrench is being used, maybe three of them, time for a trivia question.

What is the unit of measure for torque here in the USA?

Comment

Inch pounds or foot pounds... but that seems like it was too easy so I wonder if it was a trick question?

Comment

Working...
                              X