Mechanical change to Electronic fuel pump for carb outboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mechanical change to Electronic fuel pump for carb outboard

Any thoughts on converting from a Mechanical fuel pump setup to an Electronic fuel pump for carbureted 225HP yamaha outboard? Basically bypassing the mechanical fuel pumps using the electronic one. What PSI do the carbs need?

I ran one on a 225 Mercury and it caused issues with the prime start. It was connected to the ignition and if it didn't start right away it would flood. Later I put it on a separate switch and it worked well. Turn it on to prime then off while starting then back on. Pump quit on me and I had to hook up the old primer bulb that I luckily still had on board to get back in. Fortunately i had another person with me to squeeze the bulb to keep the carbs filled.
    Went back to stock pump and primer bulb after that incident.

If you try it use a low pressure pump. No more than 5 psi.

Comment

technically possible.
      dumb bass idiotic idea.
      USCG regulations REQUIRE a means of shutting off the pump automatically, in the event of an engine stall.
      means NO hardwire switchs.

the next question. I gotta ask is

WHY???????

Comment

After reading more, it is technically possible but people who have done it run into all sorts of issues. Mainly pressure too much or not enough. Many have resolved the shut off when engine quits though.

I ended up just buying new mechanical pumps and will put them on later.

Comment

I run an old OMC electric primer pump on one of my motors. Primes then shut off and draws through.
          Yeah, Coast Guard doesn't like electric pumps. They traced my fuel line on inspection and found it. I told him it came on the boat new and he still said it had to go (with a wink). I explained that it was just on an intermittant switch for priming. Didn't write me up for it.....

Comment

It's less than 150 bucks to replace the factory pumps, and they last for year's. I have gotten 10 years out of them in the past, why would you want to put an electric on it?

Comment

Working...
            X