Fuel filter problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel filter problem?

I have two fuel filters within my fuel lines leading to the engine, one each on the starboard and port. Each has two lines running in---one from two separate main tanks and the other from a single auxiliary tank. The main tanks have fuel in them. I had them both set to draw fuel from the main tanks. The problem is the other day on our way to grab lunch by water, one engine shut down after about ten minutes, we simply continued on to where we were going on one engine and we decided to simply return home on one engine. After about twenty minutes more (total running time by now about 45 minutes on the one engine that was still running) it conked out too.

I changed over the auxiliary tank for both engines, primed the bulbs, and they both cranked fine and run fine. When I switch back to the main tanks, they both conk out after about ten minutes.

Again, the main tanks have fuel in them. What could be the problem given both the lines for the main and auxiliary tanks both run in and through the same filter???

Originally posted by Charlie Crispin View Post
    I have two fuel filters within my fuel lines leading to the engine, one each on the starboard and port. Each has two lines running in---one from two separate main tanks and the other from a single auxiliary tank. The main tanks have fuel in them. I had them both set to draw fuel from the main tanks. The problem is the other day on our way to grab lunch by water, one engine shut down after about ten minutes, we simply continued on to where we were going on one engine and we decided to simply return home on one engine. After about twenty minutes more (total running time by now about 45 minutes on the one engine that was still running) it conked out too.

I changed over the auxiliary tank for both engines, primed the bulbs, and they both cranked fine and run fine. When I switch back to the main tanks, they both conk out after about ten minutes.

Again, the main tanks have fuel in them. What could be the problem given both the lines for the main and auxiliary tanks both run in and through the same filter???
    With the limited information given, I can only surmise that your problem is between the filter and the tank.

Was you primer bulb collapsed when the engine shut down?

Comment

Is this a recently added design or is it an existing design that once worked but is now giving problems?

Comment

As noted above, sounds like it has to be between the tank PU and filter.

Either a dirty pick up or very possibly the fuel line insides coming apart due to ethonol... I've had ethonol break down the ID of marine grade (Mercury line) already(between the transom fuel/water filter and the Yamaha under cowl filter ...

Found parts of it in the under cowl Yamaha filter and worked backwards to find it...

One other thing to check is the venting of the tank itself. Should the vent clog up, it won't allow fuel to flow...

Disconect the line before the engine. Put a primer bulb on the line (separate from the aux tanks for testing) to a tank lower spare tank and see if fuel will flow into the spare tank should give you some answers..
        Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-04-2015, 06:28 PM.
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
        X