ox66 oil transfer question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ox66 oil transfer question

Have a150 OX66. Year 2000. Cant find it in the yamaha manual. But does the trim gauge have any effect on oil transfer between the main oil tank and the engine mounted tank? Im running Yamaha digital gauges.

Thanks
    Mike

Originally posted by MechanicMike View Post
    Have a150 OX66. Year 2000. Cant find it in the yamaha manual. But does the trim gauge have any effect on oil transfer between the main oil tank and the engine mounted tank? Im running Yamaha digital gauges.

Thanks
    Mike
    I'm not sure I completely understand your question. The trim system is a completely separate system than the 2-cycle oil transfer system. FYI, the engine mounted tank is the "main" tank - the boat mounted tank is the "remote".
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Hey.
      sorry for the confusion. If the trim gauge was out of adjustment. Showing the engine was raised, would that inhibit oil transfer between the boat and engine tank?

thanks

Mike

Comment

Some of the older motors had some connection to keep oil from transferring oil when tilted up to keep from over filling the main tank on the motor, but I do not remember what year that was changed.
        I am sure Boscoe could answer that

Comment

Are you having oil transfer problems, or just interested? if you're having issues then as our friend Rodbolt used to say...don't chase ghosts!

Comment

No. The trim sender has nothing to do with the automatic oil transfer system in any OX66 model. Have you been getting dis-information from The Hull Truth?

The Hull Truth is to truth as military music is to music.

Your motor had a model identity when it left the factory. What is it? I know it is difficult to type some extra letters but please try.

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
              Are you having oil transfer problems, or just interested? if you're having issues then as our friend Rodbolt used to say...don't chase ghosts!
              Yes. I was having an issue at the end of last year. Would get a low oil alarm. The auto transfer wasnt working Tested float switch on engine tank. Wasnt turning the pump on but alarm would work. I believe float switch has a range for turning pump on/off and another for low oil. Replaced the float switch on engine as manual oil transfer worked. Ran Engine in a water tank. Was only getting 2 flashing bars on oil level Indicator. Notice my trim gauge was reading as if engine was almost fully raised. Found the plastic collar that contacts the arm on the trim sensor broken. Replaced and adjusted collar for trim sensor. Within a few seconds of trim level reading correctly, The oil bars went to 3 solid bars. Not sure if its a coincidence.

thanks
              Mike

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                No. The trim sender has nothing to do with the automatic oil transfer system in any OX66 model. Have you been getting dis-information from The Hull Truth?

The Hull Truth is to truth as military music is to music.

Your motor had a model identity when it left the factory. What is it? I know it is difficult to type some extra letters but please try.
                Engine serial is SX150TXRY

Comment

oil blinkers.png
                  Last edited by boscoe99; 06-09-2020, 11:07 AM.

Comment

Two bars don't flash. Not that I have ever seen.

Three solid bars are normal.

Right hand bar gone, middle bar flashing, solid left had bar means low oil in remote tank.

Left hand bar flashing and middle and right hand bars gone means low oil in main tank. Alarm should sound. Motor goes into RPM reduction mode.

Three bars flashing is an anomaly caused by different things. Not normal.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      Two bars don't flash. Not that I have ever seen.

Three solid bars are normal.

Right hand bar gone, middle bar flashing, solid left had bar means low oil in remote tank.

Left hand bar flashing and middle and right hand bars gone means low oil in main tank. Alarm should sound. Motor goes into RPM reduction mode.

Three bars flashing is an anomaly caused by different things. Not normal.
                      Yes. Sorry about that. Left bar is solid, middle bar flashing. No alarm. After i adjusted the trim sensor. All 3 bars went solid like normal. Thats what prompted my original question. At the end of last season. I was getting low oil alarm. Remote tank was full. Main engine tank was nearing the low line on the side of the tank. Thanks for help

Mike

Comment

from what has been posted
                        left solid, middle flashing means the remote tank indicates low oil level and the auto transfer will not happen.
                        but you can move oil with the
                        manual oil transfer switch

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          from what has been posted
                          left solid, middle flashing means the remote tank indicates low oil level and the auto transfer will not happen.
                          but you can move oil with the
                          manual oil transfer switch
                          Correct. Havent retested the boat other than running it in a tank to de-winterize. When i ran it this year in the tank. I had 2 bar with the middle flashing. Main tank was just about to the top line on the tank. Left key on, engine off to adjust trim sensor. Noticed the third bar went solid after adjusting the trim sensor. Just want to avoid any issues when im on the water

thanks
                          Mike

Comment

what I was trying to get at was the remote tank was low according to your middle bar flashing.
                            Was it low?
                            even if it was not low, the system thought it was for some reason(need to find out why), and auto transfer would not happen.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              what I was trying to get at was the remote tank was low according to your middle bar flashing.
                              Was it low?
                              even if it was not low, the system thought it was for some reason(need to find out why), and auto transfer would not happen.
                              Yes. Middle bar flashing. Remote tank is atleast 3/4 full. Back to the drawing board i guess. Thanks for your help

mike

Comment

Working...
                              X