Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Purrfect1 View Post
    Ok

I have put on the new starter and when connected to the battery, and the Start button pressed, nothing happens. There is no power to the new starter.

The +ive lead from the battery connects to a round device to the right of the starter motor. I don’t know what this device is but it a cylinder about the size of the circle made by your thumb and first finger, and is about an inch long. Is this the starter relay? It sits in a rubber housing (for vibration reasons I expect). There are just two terminals on this device, the left one that the +ive lead attaches to and another that looks as though it goes to the starter.

Using my multimeter, I am getting a reading on the left hand terminal (same at the battery voltage), but nothing on the right hand one…..even when the starter button is pressed. Should I get a reading on the right hand terminal all the time, or just when the starter is pressed?
    Is it safe to bypass the starter button by touching the input and output wires so as to test the starter?
    You should be getting 12 volts(or the battery voltage to ONE side of the relay) KEY ON.

Once the relay is activated, the 12volts is NOW allowed to flow to the other terminal and thus the starter.

Can you jump between the two? YES you can.

As posted above, there should be two smaller wires to that relay to activate it.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
    X