Electric Start not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Start not working

My electric start died a year ago and I have just taken delivery of a new starter from Yamaha. I had a friend install it (not an electrician) and two things have happened.

When connected to the battery (fully charged) nothing happens. There is absolutely no noise or movement from the starter.

Secondly, (and this may be just a coincidence), the "kill switch" does not work at all. I can start the motor with the pull cord, but I cannot stop it using the kill switch. I have to disconnect the fuel line.

So, my questions are…..What can I do to trouble shoot this problem? I have avometers etc. Secondly, could I temporally replace the kill switch with a normal switch until I can get a spare? (I am in the outlying islands and away from chandleries etc).
    Many thanks
    John

you need an alternator.

Comment

Probably something to do with wiring or switch if start and kill does not work,

but it could be a lot of things if people that do not know what they are doing have been working on it.

Are you still sure the starter was the original problem?
      Kind of an expensive part to buy if it was not the problem

What is chandleries

Comment

What is the complete model of the motor?

What kind of control box is used? Or is this a tiller steered model with a starter button on the tiller handle?

What is an avometer?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
          you need an alternator.
          Yes, an alternator is needed. But, what colour?

Get the hell out of my shop before I have you arrested for trespassing.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            Get the hell out of my shop before I have you arrested for trespassing.
            I remember that...

Comment

John must be British, hence the terms that some may not be familiar with. A 'chandlery' is simply another term for a marine store. I've never heard of an 'avometer', but given the context of the discussion, I'm going to assume it's a 'DVM' or 'multimeter'. And I'm going to take a guess that "AVO" = "Amps Volts Ohms".

John - lot's more help can be given if you provide the full model number of your engine. The good-natured ribbing you see above centers around that.

But, aside from that, first go back and check/follow all the wires that were removed during the R&R. If there's something not hooked up or hooked up wrong, any attempt at diagnosis is pretty much fruitless.
              2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
              1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by almetelo View Post
                I remember that...
                Was that remember or resemble that

All joking aside,

You original post was asking for a way to find year to find correct starter, but never said what the problem was with the starter.
                That is why I asked back then and again now ,
                what was it originally doing ?
                Anything like what it is doing now?

Comment

Have you tried priming the primer bulb?

Comment

Re the starter, when you turn the key to CRANK, do you hear any clicking(from the starter relay)?

You should have power (12 volts) to the starter relay (opposite terminal than what goes to the starter). The relay engages / completes the circuit and allows voltage to the starter making it spin..

Read post #22 re the not turning off, it may be helpfull;
                    http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...f-th23386.html
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

When connected to the battery (fully charged) nothing happens. There is absolutely no noise or movement from the starter.
                      End quote

I read this as the starter motor is being powered directly from the battery. No relay, no solenoid, no start switch, etc. involved.

The kill switch may be a red herring.

Are we being spoofed by the OP?

Again, until we know the model of the motor we are all pissing into the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        Was that remember or resemble that
                        How do you know !?

My Mondeo already had a new alternator, unfortunately they didn´t had the same alternator colour so I asked an extra warrenty and a discount

Comment

Ok Guys…..An apology first.

Thanks very much for your replies and I apologise for not responding but I never had an email saying I had a reply and had thought no one could help!

To update the issue….(and answer some questions!)
                          I have bought a NEW genuine Yamaha Starter for my Yamaha 25 ESH (6L2K). It is a tiller model with the starter button on the front of the machine, rather than on the tiller itself.

The electric start worked until the old starter died. I am certain it was the starter that was at fault and I had it tested by two different mechanics who both said it was un-repairable. The coils inside the starter had become corroded and had shorted out.

I have put on the new starter and when connected to the battery, and the Start button pressed, nothing happens. There is no power to the new starter.

(The issue with the Kill switch was indeed a red herring boscoe99! For some inexplicable reason it started to work again about a week later.)

I am British also Dennis! An AVO meter is exactly what you said it is and is the same as a Multimeter.

The +ive lead from the battery connects to a round device to the right of the starter motor. I don’t know what this device is but it a cylinder about the size of the circle made by your thumb and first finger, and is about an inch long. Is this the starter relay? It sits in a rubber housing (for vibration reasons I expect). There are just two terminals on this device, the left one that the +ive lead attaches to and another that looks as though it goes to the starter.

Using my multimeter, I am getting a reading on the left hand terminal (same at the battery voltage), but nothing on the right hand one…..even when the starter button is pressed. Should I get a reading on the right hand terminal all the time, or just when the starter is pressed?

I will be honest and say I have not yet removed the air intake yet and so can not trouble shoot the terminals on the starter button. When I do, what should I be looking for? Will there be a battery voltage on one side of the start button? Is it safe to bypass the starter button by touching the input and output wires so as to test the starter?

Meanwhile the engine runs fine when I use the starter cord. The issue is solely with the electric start not working at all.

As a total novice it seems that the problem is with either the round device (relay?) OR the starter button, but I am not sure how I can troubleshoot to find out which is giving me grief!

Many thanks guys

Comment

there should be more than 2 connections on the start relay as the start button has to energize the start relay.

If you do not know how to do some simple troubleshooting it may be best to have a professional take a quick look at it

Comment

The starter circuit on your model cannot be any simpler.

Press the starter switch, and if the neutral safety switch is closed, then current will flow from the battery, through a fuse, and to the starter solenoid control circuit. The control circuit closes the solenoid contacts so that current can flow from the battery through the solenoid and over to the starter motor.

The starter motor has to be properly grounded of course. I suppose you brits say "earthed".

See diagram below. Get out your AVO meter and start checking switches, connectors, wiring, solenoids and such.

Comment

Working...
                              X