2013 F300XCA top seal blown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2013 F300XCA top seal blown

As the title says, my top seal popped up and I had a major oil leak. My local shop with Yamaha certified techs looked at everything on the TSB and determined there was no damage to the powerhead. The seal was replaced and the retaining bracket was attached. I got the boat back today and ran it for the first time.... it is now a slug- slow to accelerate, most notably in the midrange and is now only able to turn 4600 rpm.

This motor is on a blackjack and was a beast before, tons of punch and would get into the mid 5000 range before.

I brought it back in this afternoon.

What should I expect from all of this?

Thanks in advance

Interesting, first report I hear of on an Offshore model. This was reported a few days ago on another site for the SHO and Jethro mentioned it might apply to the Offshore model also.

I wonder if this is related to the thrust bearing problem?

Care to share your serial number and/or manufacture date?
    Last edited by tmann45; 12-22-2014, 08:54 PM.

Comment

I'll post the info ASAP. My shop hadn't seen the problem before either. I was lucky in that I was near my marina when I noticed the leaking oil rather than 10 miles offshore. No alarm sounded in the motor, so it seems I noticed it in short order at the end of a day fishing. I've had Yamaha motors for a while. Previous experience with a 250 SHO was fine. Now this adventure.

Comment

I can't help with the specific problem, but is there any chance you're carrying around a bunch of extra weight that you didn't have before? Could you have a lot of water in the bilge? Just a thought.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Same load as usual but with less fuel.
          Serial number
          6CEX1010281

Comment

I'm wondering if the cam(s) timing is off a tooth now.

Verification on the timing shouldn't be hard to check.
            Scott
            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

could be just about anything, with no info it would be hard to even guess

I am sure the computer will give some needed info of what is going on

Did they give you any reason the top seal went?
              Wondering about thrust bearing problem also

Comment

Apparently my serial number was in the group requiring the bracket, however I never received the TSB. When I brought it in, the tech said there were no metal shavings in the oil. The seal was replaced and the bracket mounted. I also noticed an rpm dependent whirring sound- which was new and some smoke on startup.
                Waiting to here back from my shop now.

Comment

I did some research on the SHO forums and it seems the problems were noticed there first.

Comment

Originally posted by dradams1 View Post
                    Apparently my serial number was in the group requiring the bracket, however I never received the TSB.
                    I guess the best thing to do is have a dealer check my serial number against the TSB.

Comment

consumers dont recieve TSB's. same as your car, you dont get them.
                      its up to the tech doing the service to inspect it for any TSB's.
                      the last registered owner will recieve safty recalls if applicable but not TSB's.
                      bulliten has been out about 18 months or so.

its possible they missed a tooth on a sproket or forgot to plug in a cam sensor or an oil control valve connector.

if you have command link you can access any stored codes.
                      timing belt removal is not required to perform the TSB, but they may have.

Comment

Hopefull we'll get an update as to what the issue was..
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have command link and will post all the details when I get the rig back
                          Thanks to eveyone for the input.

Comment

Update
                            Well, a cylinder was apparently injured during the oil loss. My tech has been in touch with Yamaha and am likely getting a new power head.
                            The computer analysis showed it only was turning 4000 vs the 4600 I mention in the above post and it showed low pressure again.

I will update when it is all done

Comment

I am curious to know what caused the seal to blow out, I had 1500 hrs on my f300 and the thrust bearings wore out but the crank seal never blew out, however when I was picking up my new powerhead, which came with the new seal retainer there was another brand new f300 that came in with the upper crank seal blown out and it destroyed that motor. covered under warranty of coarse, is the seal popping out from internal crankcase pressure?

Comment

Working...
                              X