Yam F150 Corrosion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yam F150 Corrosion

I am considering purchasing a 2005 Pursuit with twin Yam F150's. The engines have been welded behind the thermostat due to thin wall/corrosion. The original owner had the port engine hard welded after a pin hole thru the casting occurred due to corrossion. He has traded the boat in and the dealer, noticing the weld on the port engine, scoped the engine in the thermostat area and noticed the casting wall was thin. He had his Yam tech grind away the casting and gooped it up with JBWeld. He said they took it up and ran it thru a few heat/cool cycles and it "seemed to hold".

Engines are 2005 with 269 hours and are in Alabama.
    So, I need some advice on what to do. Walk away? or Run? I love the boat and would like to come to a deal with dealer but don't want a huge repair/replacement bill in the near or mid future.

Any advice will be appreciated. I have posted some pics of both engines and welds. Engines look good and clean otherwise.
    Attached Files

There is no glue/JB weld/epoxy that will be a permanent repair, even welding is a "patch" but welding is pretty final, discuss price and then decide if it's worth the risk, but don't believe the salesman on how good it is, or how much they tested it.

Comment

Thanks for the post. I am waiting to see what the dealer has to say. I've presented him a couple options that would work for me. I would like to think that the dealer will have problems moving this boat with any buyer that does his due diligence? And, in his defense, he pointed out this issue right away up front.

Comment

My guess is that it may be a saltwater motor and have other corrosion issues....some of which could be fatal to the motors....maybe keep looking, and preferably for a freshwater boat/motor....just my opinion on this....

Comment

plenty of saltwater motors last for decades without problems, but there is a few models in recent times that do suffer from bad corrosion issues, some/most not related to saltwater use though.

Comment

Dealer is unwilling to open the engines up to look for more corrosion and will only discount the boat $3900 off list. Said I could have a surveyor tear the engines down but what then if he finds a mess? I'm disappointed BUT, there are always boats for sale. I'm moving on.

OBY Mobile, AL

Comment

Originally posted by Gungadin View Post
              Dealer is unwilling to open the engines up to look for more corrosion and will only discount the boat $3900 off list. Said I could have a surveyor tear the engines down but what then if he finds a mess? I'm disappointed BUT, there are always boats for sale. I'm moving on.

OBY Mobile, AL
              Smart move....maybe find a nice clean well-maintained boat that has spent most of it's life on a nice freshwater lake....

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X