02 sensors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 02 sensors

Usually when I have my waterpumps serviced I have my 02sensors cleaned. This year I did my pumps myself. Would you guys recommend I touch these things or leave them to a mechanic. Is this something the average guy could do? 200 hpdi's

cleaning the O2 ssesor is stupidly simple.
    as such it can be stupidly done wrong.
    I typically soak JUST up to the threaded portion in a cap full of combustion chamber cleaner followed by a rinse with carb cleaner.
    then its IMPERATIVE you test the O2 sensor voltage output.
    there used to be an OX66 motor running about here with a hole drilled in the side of #1 piston.
    customer bought all the service materials.
    customer found the draw tube clogged so he drilled it out,thats ok.
    he then tried a pick on the block side and found the hole blocked.
    he then broke out the drill to clear it.
    that's when he found it was the piston covering the hole.

Comment

I remember seeing the mechanic do something with a torch after removing the sensor. Is this not necessary? Also if I do decide to remove them what is needed just the gasket? Finally are these something you would touch without any signs of carbon buildup?

Comment

Here is the test, if it fails it needs more cleaning (acetone is not really any good for anything more than oil), be careful with it in NZ they cost near a grand.

I bet he's glad he missed a ring
        Last edited by greasyshaft; 12-10-2014, 04:49 AM.

Comment

the flame test is a teat on a boar hog.
          there are some real output tests.

I have seen sensors pass the flame test and not work on the motor and some that failed the flame test yet worked fine.

Comment

So the question is does this need to be done as a regular maintenance?

Comment

Well you should monitor the output on YDIS, should be plenty of change on the y-axis(once the engine has warmed), if it is not changing (going up and down) then you will need to pull it and clean it.

Giving the engine a shot of combustion cleaner should be done at least annually. No point in cleaning something that works.

I always find that once the engine is warm if I have no output, a good dose of combustion cleaner through the throttle (especially #1) brings them back, if not then remove it.
              Last edited by greasyshaft; 12-10-2014, 05:09 PM.

Comment

The torch is one test that can be used.

There are other tests that can be used as well. One involves installing a test harness between the O2 sensor and the engine wiring harness. Voltage is measured while the motor is being run at a given RPM.

Without knowing anyone's specific abilities, it is hard to comment about whether removal of the sensor, cleaning of same, torch testing the sensor, re-installation of the sensor, and testing of the sensor in situ with a test harness and volt meter, is something that someone can do for themselves or if they should let a trained mechanic do it.

If you were able to satisfactorily remove and replace the water pump then I would guess that you can do the sensor removal and installation.
                Last edited by boscoe99; 12-10-2014, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Does it involve drilling into the side of the piston?

Comment

Can the combustion cleaner be used anytime or just before you fog them out?

Comment

Working...
                    X