1990 Yamaha 150 Pro V safe mode

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Yamaha 150 Pro V safe mode

Just put new aux oil tank on motor and starts and idles great but has no power to get on step and won't let RPM's increase. Runs like it is safe mode. Is there a reset to turn off safe mode? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks!

Don't get blinded by his "safe mode" business, you need to do some basic trouble shooting in methodical steps.

Comment

Have you tried hitting it with a hammer???

Comment

do you have the Yamaha digital tach?
        have you tested the audible alarm?
        which tank are you referring to???
        the engine mounted tank or the hull mounted tank.

Comment

1990 yamaha 150 Pro V safe mode

I installed a new hull mounted tank. The motor tank is working properly and the low oil alarm works. I do not have a tach hooked up right now. The guy I bought the boat from put this yamaha on and did not have correct tachometer. The original motor was a Johnson. I don't think he installed the correct wire harness to dash. So there is no tach hooked up. Could that be the problem?

Comment

the tach will simply tell which way the rabbit ran.

but you need some type of visual indicate to determine IF its in safe mode and better WHY it is.

to test the audible alarm, simply unclip the E stop lanyard and crank it.
            alarm should sound.
            if not fix the alarm/circuits.

rig it correctly and travel on.

ALL audible tones on the Yamaha alarms are the same.
            you tell which one triggered it by looking at the gauges.

Comment

Thanks for your help! 1990 yamaha 150 Pro V

Unfortunately none of the gauges are hooked up. The existing gauges do not work so it looks like I'll be buying all new gauges and a harness from the motor to the gauges. Any suggestions for a brand, part number or place to find used parts?

Comment

if your alarm system works it would be a good idea to start with the basics
                and check compression, spark, and timing to make sure all of that is doing what it is suppose to before putting too much time and money into this

Comment

rig it with the correct 6y5 digital package.
                  the tach will contain the trim and oil visuals.
                  the trim sender must work correctly or at least be stuck in the down position or no automatic oil transfer will occur on your motor.
                  did you test the audible alarm???

Comment

Gauges 1990 Yamaha 150 Pro V

The alarm for the motor mounted tank works properly. I took the cap off and lifted it out and the alarm went off. The wire harness from the original engine (Johnson) was cut and removed. I have ordered a new Yamaha digital tach but I'm still looking for a wire harness to go from motor to gauges. The boat is a 1986 Grady White 19 Tournament. I'm hoping to find a used harness that will work.
                    Thank you for your help and advice. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Originally posted by Kjnjazzman View Post
                      Unfortunately none of the gauges are hooked up. The existing gauges do not work so it looks like I'll be buying all new gauges and a harness from the motor to the gauges. Any suggestions for a brand, part number or place to find used parts?
                      Here is the tachometer and wire harnesses that you will need:

2014 Yamaha MRP Catalog

http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...035-E1-00.html

You will also need an adaptor kit to interface your older style model with a later style gauge and wire harnesses:

6R3-ADPKT-93-94 YAMAHA V6 ADAPTER 93-94

Plugged together to the motor it will look something like this:

Last edited by boscoe99; 11-11-2014, 09:47 AM.

Comment

1990 150 Pro V

Roscoe99,

Thank you so much for all the information and part numbers! This has made hooking this up so much easier! When my parts come in and I get it hooked up I'll let you know how it goes...and runs! Have a great evening!

Comment

Still running in safe mode

Please help! After installing new gauges, new oil tank, new gauge wires, checked thermostat sensors(working properly), it still runs in safe mode. Engine will get up on step then backs down to 3000 RPMs. Runs great but won't go over 3000 RPMs unless I hit a mud/sand bottom then it will rev up to 4500+. It's a 2 stroke 1990 yamaha 150 Pro V. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Have a good evening!

Feeling frustrated....

Comment

why do you think it is safe mode?
                            Does the alarm come in?
                            and do the gauges show what the alarm is?

I am fairly sure the so called safe mode (RPM reduction) restricts RPM to around to 2000 not 3000

Comment

Safe mode yamaha 150 Pro V 1990

No alarms going off. They do work though. I'm starting to think I have a fuel issue. Bad hose that is leaking air into system, collapsing or filter on the motor or the tank has issues and last but not least....water in my fuel. I'm going to run it from a seperate deck tank with new fuel and good hoses and see how she does. That should eliminate some of the areas of concern.
                              Mr he reason I thought it was in safe mode is because it would get on step then immediately drop to 3000rpms. It doesn't hesitate, doesn't miss, doesn't surge. It runs perfectly fine but won't run past 3000rpms. It does it consistently.

I'm going to check the fuel system, check compression, check fire to all cylinders. Is there anything else you think I should check? Oil/pump to make sure all cylinders are getting oil? Fuel pump pressure?

Any help will be much appreciated! Thanks!
                              Last edited by Kjnjazzman; 12-05-2014, 03:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X