Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha 1988 2hp outboard impeller removal!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha 1988 2hp outboard impeller removal!

HELP!!
    I've acquired a tiny 2hp. 88, Yamaha outboard. Runs fine except the impeller is shot. Have changed a few in my 71 years but this tiny thing is very different.

Found a few blow up diagrams of parts/list but no explination of how to get the darn thing off the shaft without DISTROYING it !

Asked a local Yamaha dealer/mechanic and he just scratched his head. There is a tube with the drive shaft inside. Upper end is square and larger than the part of the shaft that holds the impeller ! It would be ashame to distroy this little motor because I have not idea how the shaft/impeller can be disassembled!

Lots of youtube photos of them running but no "DIY" impeller videos.
    Can anyone help?
    George in Sunny Pensacola fl.

Does this help?:

1988 2G Yamaha Outboard LOWER DRIVE 1 Diagram and Parts Part #28 shows the water tube you mentioned..

It doesn't show a shaft with a square end thou. Is it possible that's actually TWO SHAFTs, one that's threaded and threads into the other?

It went together as such, it has to come apart..

Can you post some fairly close up pic's of the area causing the issue? (I used Photobucket for the above pic)..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-05-2014, 08:50 PM.
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I know this sounds silly but you have to remove the pinion gear to lift the drive shaft up,
      That means you have to disassemble the gearcase just to change the god damn impeller.
      Also take note of the two washers above the pinion as the top one is a shim.

If the stainless tube is really stuck (crushed from corrosion buildup) you may have to drill a few holes at the top of the impeller housing to relieve pressure.
      The stainless sleeve is there to protect the steel drive shaft from water.

I think the most fun part would have to be removing the stainless cup when it is bulged upward (due to corrosion), I bend in the walls of the cup with a cold chisel and then use a pair of vice grips to lever it out.

Changing the impeller on a F300 is easier.

Best thing for the 2 is to kick it off the back of the boat IMO

Thankfully I've only worked on 0 this year.
      Last edited by greasyshaft; 11-06-2014, 05:42 AM.

Comment

AHA! Someone who has actually had their hands on this little bugger!

SO. To get the impeller off: I have to remove the GUTS of the lower unit? Then the shaft/impeller can be gotten to ?

FORTUNATELY: No rust anywhere-the little engine runs nicely. No resistance when turning the shaft so probably plenty of hypod oil in the lower unit and no corrosion I suspect.

**As a cursory attempt. I removed the two bolts(at the prop) and carefully tried to pry out the opening/to try and get a peek at the gears and how the shaft might attach from above....quite a bit of resistance and before getting too heavy handed and bugger the whole thing up. Figured i'd ask around.

**According to the blow- up in above reply. It looks a bit like the end of the shaft...passing through the impeller~has a tapered fluted end. Wondered if it simply fit by pressure INTO the gears below. I considered securing the lower unit-placing a wrench at the approporate spot and hopefully bashing the upper part with drive shaft and lower part.....APART might do the trick...OR kill the whole kit n kaboodle !

SO:: Remove prop/two screws that hold the gears in lower unit-pull the contents out of the lower unit to free up the drive shaft and impeller ??
        Thanks

Comment

TA DAAAA!
          The impeller sho nuff comes off when disecting lower unit. A tapered gear at the end of the shaft held on by "C" clip. Slipped right out :-)
          Now to order that TINY $23. impeller.
          Thanks all for the input!
          GS

Comment

Gidday Folks

Greasy, would you please expand on removing the seized stainless pipe into the alloy housing that sits on top of the pump assy as my mate's is seized and soaking in diesel. I have a pump kit which includes an o ring that looks like it fits this pipe.
            Also got any tips on removing seized seals inside the alloy housing ?
            Great tip on collapsing the sides of the cup inward. 2004, prob never been serviced, used to travel to a moored yacht on the sea.

Kind regards Donald

Comment

sorted

previous service had butchered the o ring, pulling part of it out of the groove so as to deform the tube, fith material.

Comment

Working...
              X