115hp 4 stroke powerfull enough?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 115hp 4 stroke powerfull enough?

I am looking at a buying a 22 foot 2002 Trophy with a 2013 Yamaha 115 hp on it. The boat weighs 3000 to 3500 lbs ? The owner says it goes 30 mph but when I asked about the RPM's he said it only gets up to 4500 rpm's. IF I propped down to get the recommended WOT rpm's of 6000 to 6300 would it get up on step?

Thanks any input would be great.
    Last edited by AKblackcod; 11-02-2014, 03:24 PM.

It would not be suitable for me.

I would not expect a long and fruitful life from that motor on that boat.

Comment

Originally posted by AKblackcod View Post
      I am looking at a buying a 22 foot 2002 Trophy with a 2013 Yamaha 115 hp on it. The boat weighs 3000 to 3500 lbs ? The owner says it goes 30 mph but when I asked about the RPM's he said it only gets up to 4500 rpm's. IF I propped down to get the recommended WOT rpm's of 6000 to 6300 would it get up on step?

Thanks any input would be great.
      I have a 20'4" CC (Angler) with a F150 on it. At WOT, (about 5,900) almost a full tank (50 gallons), I can get to about 45/46 MPH(GPS).

That boat is a bit larger and the engine quite a bit smaller, definitly under powered. If its getting to 30MPH, its up on plane, WOT. I don't see much more performance, maybe a couple of miles but your going to be running the snot out of it to keep it on plane.

If your going to do a lot of slow *****ing or the like, it'd be ok, but anything more than that, that engine will be working very hard.

Load it with several people/gear, getting it on plane may be an issue...
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

It's underpowered but then it all depends on what you're going to use it for....*****ing or running crab traps...might be O.K.....But it would be best to get it propped for 5500 to 6000 RPM's wide open throttle, or else it ain't good for the motor....

Comment

Avoid it. It's under powered. You can prop it until you are blue in the face, but it will always be under powered.

Don't join the ranks of guys who buy underpowered rigs.

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. I knew in my heart the boat was underpowered but wanted to buy it because the motor is almost new with low hours and a good price but not a good enough price to repower it.

The joy of boating would be hard to find if every time I go fishing I am wishing I had bigger motor. Ill keep looking until if find what I really want.

Thanks again for the input.

Comment

Good decision!

Maybe my take on this common question is simplistic, but I would always max out on the rated power for a given hull. I have a F200 on a hull that can take a 225...I bought the whole rig used, and it's got plenty of power, but I lament even that small gap. A buddy with the exact same hull runs a 225 Opti with a jack plate and gets totally insane speed from it. Like, he gets about 64 WOT where I top out at 49. Not that I would get a Mercury, and not that I drive more than 1 minute out of every 10 hours at WOT, but I digress. Your case is way more cut and dried. Post something about your new rig when you do get it!

Comment

If you get it propped to reach max recommended RPM, it will be OK, it will never be a speed machine, but it will operate and get on the plane OK.

Comment

Working...
                X