Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yamaha F9.9 grinding reverse won't start.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F9.9 grinding reverse won't start.

Hey guys, first post. I checked all the old boards I used to get on a few years back and they all seemed pretty dead so I searched for yamaha outboard forums and found this one. It seems pretty busy here so I signed up to see what you think of my problem.

I have a 2001 Yamaha ELRZ F9.9 on my boat for a kicker. Last time out in August I had no problems, actually I've never had any problems with that motor, just change the fluids regularly and replace the water pump once in a while and it's been great.

Took it out yesterday and it ran fine all day. I dropped my buddy at the dock to go get the trailer and when I went to back out it started grinding like it didn't want to go in gear. Put it back in neutral then back to reverse and the same thing for a second or two then it went into reverse and started backing up but it sort of popped once or twice like it was jumping out of gear. Put it back in forward and it stalled and won't even turn over now. Main engine is connected to the same battery and works fine.

Typical Yamaha 703 remote control on this engine but I know nothing about it. The throttle does feel a little tighter than normal but it could just be me looking for something also. The neutral safety has never worked on the control, you could always start it in gear so I don't think that caused the shutdown and have no idea what would cause the reverse problem.

Looked in The Seloc service manual I have for any adjustments for the cables but there is no information on that, just a general breakdown of the control. What do you think, is it a cable adjustment issue or something more nefarious in the lower unit? Any ideas?

You need to find out what is going on with neutral switch, but grinding into reverse will not lock up a motor if that is what you are saying

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      You need to find out what is going on with neutral switch, but grinding into reverse will not lock up a motor if that is what you are saying
      No, I know the grinding didn't lock up the engine but there is some sort of problem, it wouldn't go into reverse, just make that grinding noise like it was between gears then when it would go it would jump in and out then when it stalled it would not turn over, doesn't even click.

I just don't know where to start. Do I have a problem in the lower unit or is it some sort of cable issue? Is there a procedure online for adjusting the cable? The neutral safety switch never worked for that motor since I've had it. It was only a few years old when I bought it and I never looked into it so I don't know if it was broken or if the previous owner disconnected it for some reason. Not sure what the neutral safety switch would have to do with the engine jumping out of gear though but that may be why it won't turn over.

Comment

need a tiny bit more info, wont start as in, the motor is seized? or wont start as in turning over but not running, or not starting as in nothing at all? if it wont turn over (seized) it could be related to the gear issue, something in the gear case has broken and jammed it up?

Comment

Under the cowl, check the ALIGNMENT of the shifter cable where it mounts to to the engine. The cable and shifter, IN NEUTRAL, SHOULD ALL LINE UP.

It sounds, (especially with starting in gear, partial engaungment of gears), as thou your cable is NOT adjusted correctly or is sticking /failing.

To check that, simply disconnect the cable at the engine, and (while on muffs and water), shift the slide shifter by hand. Visably look at the alignment, check starting, then shift that slide by hand and see what happens.
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by ausnoelm View Post
            need a tiny bit more info, wont start as in, the motor is seized? or wont start as in turning over but not running, or not starting as in nothing at all? if it wont turn over (seized) it could be related to the gear issue, something in the gear case has broken and jammed it up?
            No, the motor is not seized, you hit the key and it doesn't do anything, not even a click from the solenoid.

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            Under the cowl, check the ALIGNMENT of the shifter cable where it mounts to to the engine. The cable and shifter, IN NEUTRAL, SHOULD ALL LINE UP.

It sounds, (especially with starting in gear, partial engaungment of gears), as thou your cable is NOT adjusted correctly or is sticking /failing.

To check that, simply disconnect the cable at the engine, and (while on muffs and water), shift the slide shifter by hand. Visably look at the alignment, check starting, then shift that slide by hand and see what happens.
            Not sure exactly what I need to see is aligned but I removed the cable from the linkage. The cable was definitely not pushing the linkage all the way into reverse. There is a piece of square bar stock that the linkage connects to then the shift rod connects to that.

With the cable detached I put a wrench on the bar stock to engage the gears, went into forward fine and stopped then went back to neutral. When I tried to put it in reverse it wouldn't go all the way and spring tension would take it back to neutral. I turned the prop by hand and it popped into reverse correctly. Now I can go through the gears with no problem.

When I went to hook the cable back up I noticed it is pulled more toward the forward position and doesn't line up correctly. I can probably adjust it and make everything work but I'm not sure why this happened so I hate to just make the adjustment.

I have to take the control apart anyways to check the neutral safety switch and the tether safety switch to see why the motor won't turn over so I suppose I'll examine the cable on that end and see if I can tell if it slipped or stretched or something.

Any other help or ideas would be great. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by jerkin98 View Post

When I went to hook the cable back up I noticed it is pulled more toward the forward position and doesn't line up correctly. I can probably adjust it and make everything work but I'm not sure why this happened so I hate to just make the adjustment.

I have to take the control apart anyways to check the neutral safety switch and the tether safety switch to see why the motor won't turn over so I suppose I'll examine the cable on that end and see if I can tell if it slipped or stretched or something.
              Just noted from above;
              "The neutral safety has never worked on the control, you could always start it in gear so I don't think that caused the shutdown and have no idea what would cause the reverse problem."

Part #11 is your safety switch on the ENGNE, not in the 703 ... If the switch IN the engine is not showing neutral, it won't crank/spin over..

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...202/parts.html

I think you have the shifter issue narrowed down, perhaps a stretched or bound up cable (thowing off the neutral safety switch/shifter, but the basics, LU, sound like thier good.

Things wear out, break, just pay close attention when you start pulling apart.

Good luck...
              Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-28-2014, 05:43 PM.
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                Just noted from above;
                "The neutral safety has never worked on the control, you could always start it in gear so I don't think that caused the shutdown and have no idea what would cause the reverse problem."

Part #11 is your safety switch on the ENGNE, not in the 703 ... If the switch IN the engine is not showing neutral, it won't crank/spin over..

2001 T9.9ELRZ Yamaha Outboard ELECTRICAL 2 Diagram and Parts

I think you have the shifter issue narrowed down, perhaps a stretched or bound up cable (thowing off the neutral safety switch/shifter, but the basics, LU, sound like thier good.

Things wear out, break, just pay close attention when you start pulling apart.

Good luck...
                I think I have it figured out and appreciate the help. The diagram you posted is for the T9.9, I have the F9.9 with the neutral safety switch (P/N 49) in the 703 control, 2001 F9.9ELRZ Yamaha Outboard REMOTE CONTROL ASSY 1 Diagram and Parts I tore the control apart last night and everything looked right, didn't notice any wear so I checked all the connections and those looked good.

I went ahead and lengthened the cable a bit to make it line up properly with the connection at the engine and put everything back together. I then cleaned all the electrical contacts at the battery and starter. The engine fired up and went into forward and reverse just fine. I suppose I need to get it on the water again to be certain it is working under load but I think I got it.

The only thing that bothers me is why this happened. The cable didn't stretch as I had to lengthen it to fix the problem and nothing seems loose in any of the linkage anywhere. I suppose it's something I'm just going to have to keep an eye on. It still starts when in gear so I suppose if I want to fix that I will have to buy another switch or get back in there and see if there is an adjustment.

Thanks again for all the help.
                Last edited by jerkin98; 10-29-2014, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Sounds like it was initially out of adjustment, but not enough until recently, to cause any issues.

If everything is lined up now and working (short of the safety neutral switch) it sounds like you got it fixed.. (a cheap fix yet!!)
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X