Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can leakdown or compression test show bad reed valve?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can leakdown or compression test show bad reed valve?

Can leakdown or compression test show a bad reed valve?

I beleive the answer is no but I wanted to check before I tear into the motor.

Leakdown - no.

Compression test - maybe.

A bad reed valve may manifest itself in the form of lower than normal compression pressure but how would you know that it is the reed valve that is causing the problem when it might be something else?

Comment

Understood but if motor has excellent and even compression could you rule out a bad reed?

Comment

I believe on a 2 stroke you could pull the reeds out completely and still get a good compression reading.
        but I never tried that
        You can even leave the throttle closed and get good compression reading,
        I have verified that with testing.
        So I would say no, you cannot tell if reeds are bad from those tests.
        Visual inspection is the best way on the reeds
        Last edited by 99yam40; 10-10-2014, 09:51 AM.

Comment

Reeds give very little trouble, yet people suspect them for all sorts of unrelated problems, much like auto oil systems really.

Comment

I know but this particular motor was over revved in neutral by accident. Was up against the rev limiter for 10 seconds. It was nasty.....rpms went up instantly. I'm thinking that could bend or break a reed.

Comment

Just curious , how did this happen?

I almost think I would be running away from the motor if it did that instead of running toward it to shut it off

Comment

Yeah, I know. Throttle cables were mis-adjusted after install. Cranked it to see if everthing was connected and it would turn over....and it started!!

Comment

So, it hit the limiter for a bit (that's why it has one) what makes you think the reeds are damaged?

Comment

if it idles ok, reeds are good.

Comment

Working...
                    X