Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 40, 2 stroke not discharging water

Hi,

My mother in law has a yamaha 40 outboard, 2 stroke. and its not discharging/spitting out water like it should. I know nothing about boats or motors could someone help me to figure out why its doing that and how to fix it.

thank you

Try sticking a section of weed eater cord into the pee hole....often mud wasps and spiders build nests in that small hole and it plugs it up....good luck!

Comment

i have tried sticking a toothpick into it and still nothing.

we even took off the top cover and removed the end of the hose going into the motor and blew into it to see if it was clogged and it was clear.
      Last edited by xdragonox; 10-08-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

did you try blowing into the exit hole while you were at it?
        tooth pick does not go very far

Comment

we did, and still not working.

Comment

so is the outlet and hose to motor clear?
            You did not say , just that the one on motor was clear.
            I have had to blow up the tell tail with compressed air while running motor on water hose to move stuff around inside to get TT to flow before

If that does not help you probably need to look at replacing water pump or look for leak or blockage
            Last edited by 99yam40; 10-08-2014, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Sorry, the exit whole is clear. Im not sure what the tell tail is? My mother in law tried flushing water into what she says is the water intake and tried starting the motor but still not spitting anything out...

Comment

it is the place the water comes out to indicate the water pump is pumping water.

What is the motors model # or at least the year?

When was the last time the water pump and thermostat were replaced?

Comment

If you're unable to check/ replace the water pump then take the motor to a Yamaha dealer to have this done....might cost you $100, but much cheaper than an overheated/burned up motor...dealer can also change the lower unit oil and check the motor over for you...good luck!

Comment

I will be headed back over to her place this afternoon to look for the model number. Where would i find it? She doesnt know the year of the motor. she bought the boat off of someone else several years back. Shes never done any maintenance on it.

Thank you guys for all the help.

Comment

Try to find a good local outboard mechanic who can check your motor for you, do some preventive maintenance and explain the operation of the motor to you....the fuel in your tank and in the motor may be stale and need flushing and refilling with fresh fuel. That 40HP 2 stroke is very simple and easy to keep running with just a minimum of preventive maintenance....but it Does require some....

Comment

We managed to get it to start discharging water. Turns out the tell tail was clogged. But we took the boat out today and now its overheating. The alarm keeps going off but its still spitting out water. We going to take it out the water and try to work on it. Any idea where i can get a diagram on how to do a tune up on it? And what parts are needed?

Thank you guys.

Comment

over heat means you need to be working on water pump and thermostat

Comment

Ok thank you, do you know where i can find a diagram of where they are located and how to change em? Also i was thinking of changing the spark plugs and oil, one of her plug wires is held on by electrical tape so i need to change that.

Comment

Again, you need to find an outboard mechanic or buy a Yamaha Manual for your motor and start studying....There are a few basic maintenance items that need to be taken care of....if they are, then that motor should run very well for you....same as with a car, truck, lawnmower, etc.....but the big difference is that if the outboard quits going down the river you could be in a bad fix....

Comment

Working...
                              X