Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 two stroke hole in cowling

Hello,

I noticed a hole in the front of my cowling just above the "90". Pretty sure it wasn't there all this time. It had me wondering all night how this could have happened.

While looking on the web to see if it can be fixed, I found two others with the same issue.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?

Someone's old post on here:
    http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th12736.html

And here is a picture someone else posted:

Last edited by tailchaser16; 10-08-2014, 01:05 PM.

Does it look like a bullet hole?
    Maybe someone was seeing if it was truly bullet proof.

Does it look like someone drilled a hole or did something come from the inside to the outside?

Comment

You may try measuring exactly where it is, then remove the cowl from the engine and see if there's anything close to it.

You may want to verify that there's NOTHING located inside the cowl where that hole is. You should be able to see if it was punctured, drilled, and if it was from the inside or outside...
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-13-2014, 06:27 AM. Reason: typo
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Maybe a rock flew up into the cowling while trailering?....it's a fairly neat looking hole...like a bullet or a drill???.....

Comment

Just think of all the power gains from less air restriction!

Comment

I think it's just a thingy ma bob used to hold the leach for oil filler cap. Part 26 http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...ING/parts.html

But the amount of times I've heard people use the phrase "Bulletproof" and "90hp" used together, I wouldn't be surprised if someone popped a few rounds in her!!
            Last edited by greasyshaft; 10-09-2014, 02:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by greasyshaft View Post
              I think it's just a thingy ma bob used to hold the leach for oil filler cap. Part 26 1999 90TLRX Yamaha Outboard TOP COWLING Diagram and Parts

But the amount of times I've heard people use the phrase "Bulletproof" and "90hp" used together, I wouldn't be surprised if someone popped a few rounds in her!!
              Yep, item 26 in the linked illustration goes through that hole. It retains the band to the cowling and the band keeps the access cap from being lost.

Comment

Boscoe & Greasy,

I think you hit the nail on the head as I heard same on another forum.. Thanks for the help

Comment

Mine has the same and it's under the factory decal. Thanks greasyshaft, now I know why.

Comment

Working...
                  X