Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold starting my yammy

Hi guys,
    Why does it take 4 or 5 goes to get my 2003 model 100 hp four stroke to start when it's cold. I just replaced the regulator rectifier with a new one after the old one blew up ? Can anyone help ? I heard maybe the stator ?

Cold engine or cold weather?

How's the fuel supply? Does the primer bulb get hard and stay hard? How's the fuel condition and filter?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I would suspect something in the carburetors.

Motor is eleven years old now. When was the last time they were cleaned?

Is the prime start device set properly and is it working correctly?

Mist a small amount of gasoline into the throat of the carburetors just before you engage the starter motor for the first time in the morning. Does the motor start quickly? If so, that is telling you that you have insufficient gasoline being provided by the carburetors for a proper cold start.

Comment

Boscoe brings up a great point and I suppose I should of also posed the question of 'how long has this been happening?' and 'did it come on all of a sudden, or was a gradual decrease in starting performance?'
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Thanks for the responses. I have only had the boat for about six weeks and it's done since I bought it so I'm not sure how long. Maybe I'll get someone to check the carnie out. If I go out on the water around midday it's fine but if I go early in the morning when the weather is cold that's when I have the problem . I have told to have the stator checked ! Do you think this would be the problem

Comment

check your bottom.
            someones been blowing smoke up it.
            DO NOT move the warm up lever.
            do trim the motor down.
            pump the primer.
            crank the engine.
            its starts or something is broke or nasty.
            not the stator.
            about the ONLY thing the stator does is provide battery charging on that engine.

Comment

Working...
            X