F250 over temp sensor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F250 over temp sensor

I tried testing the over temp sensor on my 06 f250 but did not get an alarm or an icon on the gauge. I disconnected the wires from the sensors and connected them together but I did not get an alarm. I just looked at the last diagnostic report and I noticed the overheat thermoswitch is off. I'm guessing this would be why I am not getting an alarm. Is this the issue and how can I turn this on? Thanks guys!

Are you talking about the thermosensor or the thermoswitches?

If it was the engine side pink and black wires that were connected together (that normally connect to the thermoswitch) how long did you let the motor run in this configuration and at what engine RPM?

Do you know how the system is supposed to work? Did someone tell you that simply connecting the black wire to the pink wire will cause the alarm to sound and the over temperature icon to illuminate?

Comment

Thermoswitch. From what I have been told you can connect the pink and black wires together and that will sound the overheat alarm and/or icon as these switches are normally open. Connecting these wires completes the circuit as if the switches closed. I tried it with key on motor off and at idle.

Comment

find another information source, yours suxs.
        not only do you have to short the switch, you have to cut in a resistor at the temp sensor.
        however the information is avalible, I don't have it here handy.

Comment

If you jumper the pink and black wires together there is a delay in the system before the alarm sounds. The delay is approximately 75 seconds if the RPM is below 2000 and approximately 25 seconds if the RPM is above 2000.

Same with the sensor. The difference is that the sensor has to have a 2000 ohm resistor jumpered between the thermosensor wires.

Comment

I will give that a try. Any ideas about the switch being off according to the diagnostic printout?

Comment

Originally posted by Donnie Coulsting View Post
              I will give that a try. Any ideas about the switch being off according to the diagnostic printout?
              Bad Yamaha verbiage IMO. Yamaha uses the terms off and on. Off for an open switch and on for a closed switch.

A switch is either open or it is closed. It is not off or on.

For instance:

The light switch is open. Thus, the light is off.

The light switch is closed. Thus, the light is on.

Don't get me started on folks saying "my alarm went off, what could be the problem"? If the alarm is off then it makes no sound. Life must be good.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 09-24-2014, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info!

Comment

another anomolly of that system.
                  if you short the pink to black at the thermoswitch and don't jump the coolent sensor with the correct resistor it may or may not sound the alarm and if it does it typically wont display any visual indicates.
                  dunno why but during the PDI on Yamaha motors its required. over the years I have seen it do weired stuff.
                  I am probably one of the few techs that actually has a few packs of 220 and 2K ohm resistors in the tool box.

Comment

Working...
                  X