Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 - Z200TXRB Coil Ignition Question

RodBolt17 or others that may know.
    It seems that each sparkplug has its own ignition coil.
    Which other devices can stop power to each of the 6 ignition coils besides the Pull Kill Switch, Key Ignition switch, Battery switch or Faulty wire?
    Is there any other device that can stop power going to all 6 coils?

loss of battery voltage.
    its a TCI ing, not a CDI or generic ADI.
    no device stopping all 6.

Comment

The pulser coils (six of them) inform the ECU when it is time to fire the appropriate spark plugs.

I would think that a single failed pulser coil would result in one plug not being made to fire.

Also, if the ground to the pulser coil assembly was defective then all six plugs would not be made to fire. All six pulser coils share the same ground reference.

If I am waiting for you to fire the starting pistol, telling me it is time to start the race, and you don't fire the pistol, then I am going to be stuck on the starting line.

Comment

If you can keep it on one thread would be apppreciated as well..

http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...t-th24327.html
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I definitely have a problem now - went to start the motor again at home on the trailer and it started right up, ran motor with ear muffs, rev it a couple of times and no problem.
          Is there a possibility that the motor may be grounding out in the ocean water?
          I thought I felt a tingle in my fingers while reaching in the water next to the motor when I was in the ocean?
          I will be hauling the boat back to the water for a test run.

Comment

no spark

havnt looked up you specifc motor.. most motors have a high/low side trigger and charge units and if the low side is not making dva or is shorted you will not get spark anywhere...most "pulsar" coils have one grond wire and is easy to test..not a common issue !! always check the control kill and safety switch first...Keith...

Comment

like I said,
              HPDI doesn't use a CDI style ign.
              it uses TCI which is a transistor switched 12V ign system.
              doesn't need anything from the flywheel area.
              it relys on the ECU to turn off the transistors to make an ign coil spark.

if you lose a pulser coil its still going to inject fuel and spark on all cylinders, idle speed will increase and top speed cannot be reached but it WONT lose spark nor fuel.

look folks. most of the EFI engines will attempt to troubleshoot themselves.
              ANY sensor that affects ign timing will cause an ign timing default if its out of range or failed.

the pulser coil assy on the HPDI and the OX66 is physically mounted at 7*BTDC.
              ANY sensor failure that affects ign will cause the ECU to default to the 7* BTDC pulser coil value.
              this will cause an increase in idle speed to about 1100 RPM.
              depending on the sensor this value may or may not increase and top speed may or may not be reached.

joe backyardigan brings me a z150txrb.
              says it suddenly started idleing so fast it was banging.
              he says me and my buddy had a beer and messed with the idle speed screw and its still not idling right.

tells me two things. one is the initial problem was most likely a sensor failure or feed back failure.
              2 now I also have a technician induced failure.

took me about 5 min to fix issue 1.
              took dang near an hour to fix issue 2.

issue 1 was a previous maint session with beer buddy someone left the ECT sensor unplugged.
              issue two was beer buddy dinked with EVERY screw in and around the throttle body.

Comment

Working...
              X