yamaha f150 overcharging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha f150 overcharging

I have a 2004 yamaha f150 that is charging at 15.5 volts. I replaced the voltage regulator and the I am still getting 15.5 volts. I disconnected all the wiring from the batteries except what was necessary to run the engine and also for the regulator to work and i still have the same result. What do I do now?

drop back and punt????

carefully trace the aux isolated charging line.
    if it shorts to ground that's what you can get.
    the short will be on the lower fwd port front.

Comment

I checked the aux. isolated charging line and can find no shorts. Putting an ohm meter on the two red cables off of the regulator to ground i have infinite resistance.

Also with the battery connected but the lower plug with the red wires removed from the regulator I have battery voltage on one of the red wires and no voltage on the other. I would think this would also be good.

I replaced the battery with a brand new one.

I cleaned all the cable ends.

I put an ohm meter across two of the green leads for the stator and got no resistance on the 1 ohm scale. The book tells me I should have .20 to .30 of resistance, but i would think that would be on the lower end of the scale and I should be ok.

I did the same with readings across the other two wires and got the same results.

If I check for ohms from the green wires to ground I get infinite readings. That should also be good.

At this point I am very confused but feel I have no option but to replace the stator. Do i need to replace the pulsar unit also or are they not connected? Or do you have any other ideas as I hate just throwing money at it but I can not see any other options.

Thanks for your reply Rodbolt!

Maybe I should add that this is a 2004 motor with only 200 hrs on it and it is in showroom condition.
      Last edited by mshastay; 09-16-2014, 07:09 PM.

Comment

When and under what circumstances did you notice the output voltage to be 15.5 volts?

Comment

What output voltages are you seeing from the lighting coil at the prescribed speeds of cranking, 1500 RPM and 3500 RPM?

0.20 ohms to 0.30 ohms is almost no resistance whatsoever. Are you using a digital multimeter that has the resolution necessary?

By the way, the service manual only provides a minimum output voltage. It does not specify a maximum output voltage.

Comment

voltage is at 15.5 volts at idle and full throttle. My last tests I only had one battery hooked up and the only cable that i had hooked up was the positive and negative cable going to the engine. I had the same result. I imagine it could be that I have a short somewhere in the dash as the key switch did work so I do have power running to the console?

Comment

also I just looked up prices for the stator. 603 BUCKS!
              The base assy which includes the stator and the pulser is only 559 bucks.
              Figure that one out?

Comment

What is the problem?

Comment

Working...
                X