Garden Hose Flush vs Muffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garden Hose Flush vs Muffs?

In regards to the garden hose attachment on the side of the engine (2000 250HP OX66, if it matters) for flushing the engine or using the flushette attachment (muffs) on the intake... Do both methods work equally well for flushing the engine? Are there any downsides to using the garden hose attachment on the side of the engine?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Everything I have read says the hose connection is for flushing the power head ONLY! do not run the engine! you can ruin the water pump from lack of water.

The muffs supply water to the water pump.
    2006 F115 Hurricane 226 Fun Deck

Comment

Originally posted by stuff2c! View Post
      Everything I have read says the hose connection is for flushing the power head ONLY! do not run the engine! you can ruin the water pump from lack of water.
      Thank you. Yes, that part I am aware of. When using the hose connection (boat is in the water right now which is why I can't check myself), will some water backfeed down through the lower unit? Will it backfeed enough to flush things out as well as on the muffs?

Comment

Can't answer that one...

But it does run out the bottom at a pretty good pace on mine.

Comment

The last section is what your looking for;

Boater's Log Vol. 5, No. 2 | Yamaha Outboards
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Awesome, that's perfect. I may need to fog at the ramp (salt) and then flush afterwards, hence the question about whether the garden hose attachment is sufficient. Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
              Awesome, that's perfect. I may need to fog at the ramp (salt) and then flush afterwards, hence the question about whether the garden hose attachment is sufficient. Thank you!
              Your welcome..

Just as a side note, (I'm on a boat lift), as soon as I come in, the powerhead adapter gets the hose for at least 15 minutes..

Then, the muffs come out for another 10-15 minutes.

Then I flush the speedometer pitot tube (they like to clog up).

Then soap and water to everything and a pump of yamaha grease to the main steering pivot..

My pitot tube clean/flush;
              http://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/f...g-th23159.html

Scott

Comment

And a FJR1300 too...

Comment

And a FJR1300 too...
                  Sold that awhile ago, it was the first generation(2004) and was friggin hot!!(literally).

Belows my only other Yamaha now, 2007, FZ6 (600cc, 95HP, 14,000 red line, 6 speed, 45-48 MPG)

Scott

Comment

Don't want to hijack anyone's thread but it's motorcycle talk...

riding is my passion

Comment

Don't want to hijack anyone's thread but it's motorcycle talk...

riding is my passion

]
                      Me too! K 1200 or 1300 GSW?

Scott

Comment

I hear 'ya on the pitot tube. I've boated my whole life (and have worked part time/full time in the marine industry for about 26 years), but am much more familiar with stern drives, inboards and smaller OB's. With the Grady being in Maine (on a mooring so it can't be flushed regularly), we don't have as much of the "salt" issues as you do down South since it's not "in the air" like it is down there. The pitot's still sometimes get clogged, but it's because of sticks or debris in the water. A small drill bit always takes care of that.

I can tell just by looking at your lift that it was built for boat maintenance. Very nice.

Haven't had a bike for a few years now... but nice bike!
                        Last edited by DennisG01; 09-16-2014, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Thanks re the lift and bikes!

BTW, even with the boat pitot tube NOT easily accessable, I "Tee"ed off the the line/hose going up to the speedometer and put in a shrader valve.

With a small 12 volt pump, I simply snap it over the valve and is blows ALL the water, out of the speedometer hose/ line. I was surprised how much water came out initially(1/2 cup maybe) under the floor and out the tube the first time. It'll blow just about anything out of the tubing and aluminum LU as well..

Its an easy mod and the speedometer hasn't been this accurate since new...

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-16-2014, 12:26 PM.
                          Scott

Comment

Working...
                          X