How do I remove this part on impeller/water pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I remove this part on impeller/water pump

This part is not coming off and a new one didnt come with the water pump repair kit. Any suggestions on how to remove it? I have already removed the plastic housing and the ss wearplate cup.
    Attached Files

It's a press-on plastic and stainless steel collar with some spring washers inside it....you'll need some new ones since it's almost certain to screw them up getting them off....you can sorta pry them off with screwdrivers, etc. When you install the new ones you pull up on the driveshaft while tapping the collars and spring washers down to take up slack in the driveshaft to prevent a certain knocking sound at lower RPM's....which is more of an irritation than a big mechanical problem....good luck!

Comment

As noted above that SS collor has to come off first.

If you take a fairly wide tipped, flat screwdriver, use an appropriate socket as a fulcrum to lean against, you can slowly put pressure upwards underneath that collor. Rotate it often and go slow. That's the hardest part, the rest will slip off.

Just pay attention to the order....
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I just did that same thing!! Yes pry on it while you rotate it, but I sprayed some WD-40 on it and it really helped! The replacement cost is not much if you break anything. That steel collar is just pressed down over the plastic piece and there are three washers below all of it. The wave washer goes in the middle I think.

I believe it is part number 20-23 this is for my 2002 F115

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Ya...%29/parts.html
        Last edited by Pas Bon F115; 09-08-2014, 08:56 PM.
        2002 19ft. Baystealth 1888 with Yamaha F115 (4 stroke)
        2002 15ft Alumacraft with 25 Yamaha 4 stroke

Comment

Comment

If it's real stubborn you just use fire to melt it.

Comment

Originally posted by greasyshaft View Post
              Do you suggest an acetylene cutting torch?

Comment

Thanks, why do they leave that slack in the DS?

Comment

myself? at 90/hr I don't play with them much.
                  occasionally I use a small sharp chisel and a 32OZ ball peen and two whacks and the collar is cut.
                  typically I wont scar the plastic.
                  kinda like why I don't rebuild the 6E5 fuel pumps.
                  at 90/hour plus the parts you would have a new rebuilt pump.
                  but its easier to pry on it if the cup is reinstalled.

Comment

Thanks for all the replys guys. All the you tube videos dont show this step or parts. Mine was stubborn, yes used the screwdriver pry/rotate trick and wouldnt come all the way up. I had to cut it off with a cutting wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by skiffer2010 View Post
                      Thanks for all the replys guys. All the you tube videos dont show this step or parts. Mine was stubborn, yes used the screwdriver pry/rotate trick and wouldnt come all the way up. I had to cut it off with a cutting wheel.
                      Did you put a spacer under the shank of the screw driver once the collar was part way off the plastic band?

Here is a link to a step by step tutorial that depicts a water pump replacement on an F200. Many of the steps are common to a number of Yamaha models.

Water Pump Replacement

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        Did you put a spacer under the shank of the screw driver once the collar was part way off the plastic band?

Here is a link to a step by step tutorial that depicts a water pump replacement on an F200. Many of the steps are common to a number of Yamaha models.

Water Pump Replacement
                        Yes I did and it just wouldnt come of the spacer. Thanks for the pictorial. I noticed he put the spacer and collar on after the cup, mine was still on after I removed the cup, should it be on top? Appears it will just go through the hole in top of cup.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                          Do you suggest an acetylene cutting torch?
                          Yes, simply cut the drive shaft and then braze it back together. Should be strong.

Comment

Yes, simply cut the drive shaft and then braze it back together. Should be strong.
                            So, looks like you are back into the home made stuff again

Comment

nothing wrong with good homemade stuff
                              like I posted, I can cut that metal collar in 2-4 whacks with a good chisel faster than you can cut it with a wheel.

Comment

Working...
                              X