50 HP T50 alarms and then loss of power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 50 HP T50 alarms and then loss of power

I have a 2000 4 stroke 50 HP with only 400 hrs run time. We use it only occasionally during the summer in northern Wisconsin. Last week an alarm went off then lost power, a couple times. When I shut it off and waited a minute or so, it started right up and ran awhile then the alarm and loss of power again. Neither the oil or temp lights went on. I've changed plugs every other year and oil every year. BUT I have never changed the fuel filter, but it looks as clean as new. Every thing else seems OK. No leaks I can see, no gas smell, water pump was replaced two years ago and the discharge stream looks fine. No junk on water intake screen. I'm wondering if it's fuel filter or fuel pump related.....maybe not getting enough?

Would appreciate any help I can get.

What type of tachometer? Is this where you are seeing the lights?

Sounds like the motor is having a problem and going into the RPM reduction mode.

Need to find out why. It is either oil pressure or temperature related. Have the lights on the tachometer ever worked?

Comment

Don't know the model of the tach but I'll check in a few days....it's in northern Wisconsin and I'm here south of Chicago. It came with the boat (Party Kraft pontoon built by Geoffrey). The tack is dash mounted that reads 0 to 6000 rpm, with no lights, alarms, whistles, etc.

I was told I could have bad gas. The motor is a 50 HP T50 four stroke and I've been burning regular that contains 10% ethanol, which is the only gas available on the water, and the same source I've been using since I bought the boat in 2000. It was suggested I use a can of Sea Foam with each time I fill up the 19 gal tank. Apparently to take can off crap in the gas. What do you think?

Comment

Working...
      X